Chapter 33: Kara

"You know as much as I really want to stay here and continue, I'd also really like to see Kara," I muttered against Zack' smouth, smiling as he pulled his head away, fixing his eyes on mine. I moved my fingers from where they'd been, twisted through his hair, to reat one hand on my stomach, the other on his arm, my fingers running up and down his forearm. I turned my head, watching the way small goose bumps formed across his arms and then looked back up into the hazel eyes so close to me.

        Zack was still smiling down at me, his face starting out only centimeters from mine before he pushed himself away, returning to his sitting position on the edge of my bed. He watched me sit up, scooting forward and crossing my legs so my ankles were by his side. I handed him his phone from where he'd thrown it a few minutes ago after he'd hung up with whoever he was talking to. He took it and tucked it back into his pocket as I slipped my right arm around his left, grabbing his hand.

        He turned his head back to me, eyes looking down as I rested my chin on the edge of his shoulder, smiling softly up at him.

        "What?" he asked, steady gaze staring straight into my eyes. I shook my head slowly, my chin rubbing softly against his shoulder.

        "Nothing," I smiled, and started to stand up, but I was still holding Zack's hand so he pulled me back, making me fall onto his lap. His other arm wrapped around my waist, holding me there. I turned my head to him slightly, amused. He leaned his head forward slightly, his lips gently brushing mine.

        "What were you thinking about?" he asked again, so close that his eyes were practically the only thing I could see.

        "I was thinking," I started, and then paused for a moment, as if I was thinking, "that I'm incredibly happy and extremely lucky that you're here." Zack nodded slowly as I spoke, I closed the distance between our lips, only for a moment before pulling away and adding, "And that if we don't show up to Stella's soon, they'll just call us again."

        "Alright, alright," he sighed, moving his arm from around my waist, while still holding onto my hand. I stood up, pulling him with me. I glanced across the room, into the mirror, fixing my hair with my free hand. Through the reflection, I could see Zack roll his eyes at me.

        "You look fine, Laur," he said, and pulled me gently away from the mirror, behind him as he led me out of the room. He stepped away to grab his sweatshirt from the couch and then made his way over to me, in the kitchen.

        "You don't need your heys," he muttered, standing so close his breath blew on my ear as he looked down, "I'll bring you home later."

        "Okay," I said softly, and instead of taking my hand, he draped his arm around my shoulder, his fingers moving softly against my arm as we left the apartment. Even in the mildly hot weather, I felt like I was getting chills. I wrapped my left arm around his torso, fingers clinging loosely to his shirt

        There had been some points where I could never understand why Stella and Alex were always touching, arms around one another or holding hands, but if a moment like this would come along, I felt like I understood. What Zack and I had, now or in the past, couldn't be compared to what Stella and Alex had, but I loved knowing and feeling that Zack was here, standing beside me.

        It was harmless stuff, hugging or having our hands intertwined, unlike what Craig seemed to always want, which was always much more. That was probably the best difference between them. I could be with Zack without actually having to be with him. With Craig, most of the time it was that or nothing.

        There was also a lot more conversation, at least this time around. Whenever we had free time, just the two of us, we could talk about anything, our conversations going in whatever direction we wanted, stemming from previous conversations.

        It was like that on the ride to Stella's, mindless conversation about anything from the song on the radio to what Stella was planning for dinner. Our conversation didn't stop until we were standing in front of the apartment, Rian opening the door for us. I could hear Stella and Kara talking, along with Alex and Jack's voices, but Zack was focusing on Rian.

        "Are you okay man?" he asked, and I turned my gaze from inside the apartment. I glanced over my shoulder, behind Zack at him, and then up at Zack's eyes.

        "Stella said they'd be okay around each other," I whispered, leaning closer so he could hear me over the conversation. He shrugged, watching Rian as he walked around us, heading back over to Alex and Jack, perched on bar stools at the kitchen counter.

        The conversations dimmed as Zack and I walked further towards the kitchen. All pairs of eyes landed on us, including Kara's, before the guys went back to their conversation. Kara's eyes took in our close proximity, our hands folded together, before landing on our faces. She went towards Zack first, who let go of my hand to return the hug she'd offered. I took a step away, a small feeling of nervousness growing inside my stomach, the same way I'd felt when I'd first come to see the guys again.

        "I swear, every time I see you it looks like you've gained five more pounds of muscle," she teased, laughing lightly as she pulled back. I wondered how often she got to visit Stella and the guys, with their usually crazy schedule and her being in school.

        "Good to see you, Kar," he smiled warmly, his voice overpowered by Jack in the end.

        "That's cause he didn't have anything to occupy his time with until now," Jack chimed in, glancing at me with a wink. I pushed my lips together, ears warming slightly at Jack's suggestion. Stella threw a piece of whatever she was cooking at him, aiming at his chest. It hit his shirt and fell into his stand, and he popped it into his mouth, grinning at her.

        Kara rolled her eyes at Jack and then looked at me, still smiling widely. "Lauren," she said, stepping over to me arms open to offer me a hug the same way she'd offered Zack one.

        "I can't believe you ran into eveybody after all this time. It's so good to see you again," she beamed, standing in front of me. The feeling I'd had in my stomach was slowly going away, covered by relief that Kara so easily ignored the past, as everyone else had.

        "Yeah, I know," I smiled. "It's good to see you too." It was so much like high school now, everybody back together again.