Story Time

'But I'm hoping at the gates they'll tell me that you're mine".Dakota opened an eye. Who the fuck was singing?

"I feel so alooone on a Friday night. Can you make it feel like home, if I tell you you're mine?".

Are you shitting me? Well, whoever was singing, they had a beautiful voice.

"-and the road gets tough I don't know why". Wait. Is that Micah? Dakota heard some shuffling around, and she strained her ears trying to hear more. She was sure it was coming from the bathroom.

"The road is long, you carry on, try to have fun in the mean time." It had to be Micah. Dakota finally chose to get up from her bed. She glanced at the bathroom door when Micah came waltzing into the room.

"Come and take a walk on the wild side, let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain!". Dakota burst out laughing at the look that was on Micah's face. When she had waltzed into the room, she shut her eyes, looked towards the ceiling, and used the brush that was in her hand as a microphone. Hearing the other girl laugh, she stopped immediately, and stared at her wide-eyed.

"Shit, I'm sorry! Did I wake you up?", Micah asked.

Dakota, still laughing, shook her head, "No, not really".

"Did you uh..You heard me singing didn't you?".

Dakota smirked, "Yeah, a little. Or enough to know you have a pretty voice. I saw that adorable face you just made too."

Micah blushed, "Well uh, good morning".

"Good morning to you too", Dakota replied with a smile. Micah returned it, and then sat at the edge of Dakota's bed.

"So, what do you want to do today? The gang left yesterday so its just us for today and most of tomorrow".

Dakota just shrugged. Micah sighed.

"OK, well I want to tell you a story". Dakota lit up.

"Well it's not really a story. Yesterday you asked me how I discovered my powers, do you still want to hear about it?"

Dakota nodded her head slowly.

"I didn't suddenly get my power like the others. I was born with it".

Dakota stared at her agape.

"Yeah, I don't know really know how to explain it, but I have these memories as me as a baby, and just shifting into all the types of animals that were on the walls in my room. My parents found out about it when I was about five. Before then, they were really loving, if you had asked me, I would have told you they were the best parents in the whole wide world", Micah said, smiling at the memory.

"They got me a puppy for Christmas. I had never shifted into a puppy, my room was only covered in bugs and insects, and that was all I had shifted into. So yeah, the puppy, I named her Lady, cause during that time, I was in love with the Lady and the Tramp movie. Lady was my best friend. I did everything with her, and I told her everything, she was my only friend. All the other kids thought I was weird, because my hair was white, and I didn't really have control of my powers, so my eyes would change purple without me knowing it. After awhile though, it wasn't enough. Lady could never talk back, and I never understood her. One day, I shifted into a puppy, right in front of my parents. I didn't think they'd care, hell, I thought they'd be proud of the fact that their daughter was special. They didn't see it that way, they saw their daughter as a freak. An abomination. A demon.", Micah spit out, laughing harshly.

"Those were the words they used you know. My mother screamed at me. Asking how I could do that to her, how I could be a freak, the ladies she met up with to have tea with would never except it, she said. They will shun her because of her freak for a daughter. What I didn't know, that I had to learn the hard way, was the fact that my mom only cared about status, and what people thought of her. What would people think, if they found of she had a freak daughter? My dad, I remember looking at my dad, hoping he'd stop all the hurtful words coming out of my mom's mouth. He just stood there, looking disgusted. I think that's what hurt the most. I tried to talk to them, tell them it wasn't bad, it was pretty fun. My mother slapped me. Then she told my father they had to leave, without me. I stood there, crying my heart out, while they stood there and made plans on where they would go, without me. Then, I just ran. I shifted into a dog again, and just ran and ran and ran. When I stopped running, I was miles from home. I lived in Lynn, Massachusetts, and I ending up in New York. Brooklyn, to be exact. Coincidentally, that was where my older sister, Jamie, lived. I went phone book to phone book, looking up her name, and I just couldn't find it. I slept in Central Park for about four days, and then I finally found her. She was working at a diner. I had thought that, well I don't know what I thought. I just assumed she would take me in. Well, I was wrong. Mom called her, and told her about the freak that I am. My sister and my mom were actually really alike, in their way of thinking. So, Jaime thought I was a freak too. I couldn't live with her, and I had no where else to turn.". Micah was silent for a moment.