8

"Round 2... Players have 20 seconds to hit the target!"

I frowned as I looked at Chishiya. "I cant do it- I- I don't want to die-" I managed, my breaths ragged as my mind frantically offered me thoughts I didn't want to think.

"Then you have to play" He interrupted, looking at me with a spark behind his eyes, almost a twisted excitement. "You have to win the game... Don't look at me, look for your target y/n" Chishiya said hastily.

He grabbed my shoulder quickly, tightly, the simple gesture gave me confidence, comfort, calmness. "Come on y/n... I know you can do this"

I nodded quickly, I understood that with the events that happened beside me I had no time to waste if I wanted to survive, however afraid I was of the death besides me I was more afraid with the idea that I might just die too if I wasn't to find my target.

I did want to dwell on Chishiya's words, his actions, but I couldn't in this situation.

So with frantic eyes I panted loudly in fear as I diverted my focus from left to right to the dark trees and nature ahead of me, hiding behind some of them was in fact my target... and I needed to find it immediately.

"10 seconds left"

I found my hands shook violently, growing nervous with the reminder that I would run out of time, and I could only yelp quietly as I looked around again, my eyes going frantically up and down then left and right.

It seemed that my tearful eyes came in handy for with my clouded vision I was soon able to identify my target presented behind the Ivy, and I pulled the trigger once and twice before I ultimately hit the wooden target.

Chishiya looked at me, "Good job,
Y/n... I was worried for a moment"

I wiped over my tearful eyes for a second, huffing loudly as I brushed off my emotional state. "As if you were worried for me"

"Well... I don't want you to die" He said, almost shyly.

As if on queue there was a ring of gunshots and loud screams and shouts, and I noticed that beside Chishiya blood splattered and bodies fell to the floor.

There was no time to think during the games, I couldn't think about the simple things, I couldn't perceive Chishiya's  actions and words however much I wanted to... yet I couldn't, my mind was solely focused on the game and the time limit.

"Round 3... 10 seconds"

"10 seconds?!! This is ridiculous!" Shouted one of the men holding his gun up, he seemed angered, aggravated, he was furious.

I didn't have any time to think as I briskly held the gun back up, I propped my hand on the trigger finding my target quicker than I had expected but I presumed that maybe it was because the final round would be the hardest.

That's what I presumed.

However, I pulled my trigger and found my stomach dropped as soon as I pulled the trigger.

"What?" I whispered aloud as I pulled back the gun frantically, I found myself opening the bullet compartment and widened my eyes. "I've got no bullets... where am I meant to get bullets?"

"There's only 3 bullets in each gun, 4 rounds and you used two bullets on the last target" Chishiya explained, I found myself a little shocked with his understanding of the game. However, he shot his gun, hitting his own target. "Pick up the man's gun"

I glanced at the lifeless body beside me that Chishiya suggested I steal from, he was drowning in his own blood, his eyes still open but devoid of any life that was previously there. "I can't" I muttered, feeling almost wrong for stealing a dead man's gun.

"You don't have enough time!" Chishiya shouted as he shoved past me, picking up the blood stained gun and shoving it into my chest. "I swear If you don't hit this target-" he begun, anger seeping at his voice.

I couldn't understand just where his anger had appeared from.

"I'll be dead" I argued, interrupting the boy,  with the realisation I snatched the gun from him, pulling the trigger as soon as my eyes landed on my target, finding that I hit it... thankfully.

Chishiya had made his way back to his spot, but he walked to the lifeless body beside him.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, shocked at just how ruthless he was.

"I need the bullets, he's not going to argue with me, he's dead" Chishiya stated, turning to me from where he was crouching on the floor, he turned to me with a raised eyebrow and the other bullets he had stolen in his fingers, he evaluated them carefully before meeting my eyes.

Chishiya stood up and his hair gently followed him, his lips fell ajar as he stared into my eyes and he found himself smiling softly - it was almost a smile of reassurance, a smile that suggested everything was going to be fine. I believed that smile. "This isn't like the zombie game at all y/n"

I almost felt emotional as I shook my head, a gentle chuckle slipping from my mouth. "It's not really is it"

With final round and around with - once again - only 10 seconds on the clock  I was thankful that I wasn't like the other contenders in the game who had only now realised they needed more bullets. The game was created so that the targets could be reached within one shot, one bullet would be enough, so when the final round came around with 10 seconds on the clock they would firstly need to find their target but then discover they had zero bullets, it meant that they had to think of any way to find a bullet... Yet, the time frame was too small, there wasn't enough time for them.

It seemed that Chishiya and I were victorious, so were a few others.

"Congratulations! Game clear!" Spoke the familiar female voice of the game itself.

It was surprising to see Chishiya drop the gun, his shoulders falling in relief before he smiled softly to himself - I could only watch him in a daze of confusion... was he happy?

"I'm relieved y/n" He uttered, as if reading my mind, and he slowly made his way closer to me, the close proximity of our faces taking me by surprise. "I'm so relieved you survived, I don't know what I'd do without you"