48

The first night away from The Beach had been sleepless, I was restless for an array of reasons from the uncomfortable place I slept entirely incomparable to the bed I'd grown so attached to and the haunting reminders of the game just yesterday.

It was strange to have been in a room now untouched with the richness The Beach once held, instead, I was cooped up in a makeshift bed in another furniture store left untouched by the horrors of the games but instead dirtied by other inhabitants of this world. I lie in a shop with Kuina, with Chishiya, just us and knowing no one else was sleeping in the area around us was unusual for I always knew before I slept that there were others alive and safe for another day.

Our mission for the first day away from The Beach had been clear, given to us by none other than Chishiya himself; to look for anything we may need from food to clothes, blankets to daily necessities and there was something sentimental about walking through the empty streets of Tokyo alone with Chishiya as Kuina went off on her own to find food, it had taken me back to the first time Chishiya and I found ourselves lost in the place and I couldn't ignore the way my mind instantly compared us to the us back then.

The him that hadn't been so strong regarding the games... the him untouched by the horrors of this world.

That previous me, so naive, so bewildered and taken aback by the new scene around me, however, I'd changed significantly. I found my voice, I found a new confidence in myself and my physical abilities... I'd been able to fend for myself in a dystopian world only created in those sort of books and movies you'd always wonder; what if that were a reality one day?

The streets were as lonely as before, the trash that caught up on the pathways had blown around the desolate streets absentmindedly, the cars were left abandoned and the stores had been obviously rummaged through by other individuals.

We walked into the large mall together, Chishiya trailed behind me quietly, he'd been holding something in his hand I didn't know the purpose of but all I'd known it was a weapon from Kuina's question to him just last night, therefore, I understood that he was trying to create another weapon and I'd wondered when he'd grown so creative.

When had Chishiya been so talented at such a thing? Was it a new skill he'd learned in this world or did he have prior knowledge on how to make tasers and gasoline guns?

"There's some electronic stuff over there" I said softly, pointing weakly to the small electronic store left abandoned in the mall, it's glass windows dirtied but the inside was left untouched and it was odd to see that when the food store just beside it had been significantly terrorised and damaged.

Chishiya hummed loudly alerting me of his acceptance for my suggestion, walking towards the shop and I'd led him inside finding that it never grew easier to have been inside an empty store when I'd been so conditioned to seeing other customers scanning the items inside and at least one worker tired and bored standing at the counter awaiting customers to pay their income.

Chishiya searched the numerous shelves with his hands, flickering his fingers through wires and electronics as if he'd known exactly what he was looking for and so I sat upon a counter watching him from a distance, silently watching him with a heightened interest and an admiration for his mere existence in the two worlds.

"What are you looking for? Can I help?" I quizzed, holding two plastic bags stuffed with our old clothes dirtied with the reminder of the games last night and I planned to leave them abandoned in the technology store.

It had been obvious Chishiya had a clear like for dim grey toned clothing, as of currently his new pick of clothing had been a grey cardigan that had looked rather comfortable and trousers continuing his grey colour palette.