22

"Hey, be safe out there" I managed softly as I held Chishiya's eyes carefully. His brown eyes reflected oak trees but a sparkle shone in them, the iridescent glow of beauty behind his eyes so brown I could see the beauty of each shade mixed into them that created his perfectly assorted sepia tinted eyes.

He smirked as if he knew he were going to come back alive; his smirk irritated me, it irked me despite the surge of confidence that coursed through me in the moment. "I will be" He stated with a nonchalant tone.

As always he took the games as if they were mere challenges, simple obstacles in his life, he was so persistent on his uninterested attitude that he even suggested that death games were a mere laughing matter he could complete in a breeze.

Chishiya was clever... but still never fully had the certitude of his chance of winning.

I had to prepare myself for the worst for the best to happen.

"I'm serious" I murmured in a short inhale, a little fretful. I was always disquieted whenever he had to leave to attend the death games and although he typically never came back scathed or injured I still felt the violent tug in my heart that maybe tonight would be the unfortunate night.

"Toughen up" he said with a small laugh, "We've done this a million times before, you should be used to it now" Chishiya stated with an amused laugh, my worry being a mere laughing matter to him.

Something about his words had angered me, I had primarily laid it down to the fact that he was laughing at my anxiousness, my pure anxiety that chewed away violently at every metre of my body.

"Used to it" I mimicked quietly, a tone of voice agressing my dismay with his choice of words, his attempt to be audacious that had only rubbed me the wrong way, "Whatever. Just leave" I replied bluntly.

"You want me to go now?" He asked tilting his head. "You wanted me to stay just a minute ago"

"Kuina is waiting for me" I finalised unceremoniously, "Stay safe out there"

"I will do... I'll come back for you y/n" He said with a soft smile gracing his features, he held up a hand - a soft wave - "See you soon"

I nodded, a hum escaping my mouth, and I watched him leave. His golden hair was now almost silver as a result of the bright sun now appearing more often during the later moments of the day shining in the distance, once again he wasn't hard to recognise in a crowd for I had seen him leave with an ache in my heart.

The car he was in drove away with the others after a few moments where only the cheers of those on the sidelines cheered, I had waited until his car blended into the distance and became a mere memory, a faded dot of what had once been, before making my way to my room where Kuina waited for me.

Her goodbye to Chishiya was as average as always, the same goodbye, Kuina offered him a small smile and said a goodbye and that was all. Sometimes I believed I was being too repetitive and my goodbyes to Chishiya were completely melodramatic as I walked him to the car and said a constant goodbye as if I were a broken record.

I wondered if he was starting to get bored of my overdramatic goodbyes and maybe that's why he presented the suggestion for me to toughen up.

Yet, I hadn't cared too much for the fact still remained in this place I still trusted Chishiya the most and therefore he meant more to me compared to anyone else in the beach.

"Is he in a bad mood again?" Kuina offered with a grand smile as I walked inside, she too seated herself on my bed but she sat more politely with her legs crossed and unlike Chishiya she didn't sprawl out her body over the bed as if it were her own.

"Hmm" I hummed, I couldn't identify if the moment that had occurred was Chishiya in a bad mood or just him as usual. It was hard to identify sometimes. "He told me to toughen up! Can you believe that?"

"Woah" Kuina said with raised eyebrows and an exaggerated laugh, "He did?" She asked as if taking my words for a joke, as if she were laughing at me instead of the fact Chishiya had said something that irritated me.

I nodded as I sat with her. It was nice to have a friend in Kuina, a friend in another female, Kuina was the only other female I felt I could trust for her kind attitude had been a driving point to ensure me she was virtuous. "How annoying" I muttered.

"He still cares about you though"

"It doesn't feel like it" I retorted playfully, I didn't like to reassure myself that Chishiya cared about me but he had reminded me so often that his words were slowly beginning to become more believable. At first I couldn't believe them but as time passed it seemed as if he were reassuring me he truly did care.

Kuina didn't seem to understand the playful tone behind my voice as she sighed softly, "He's always cared about you" Kuina reassured me with a soft smile, "That's why were stealing the cards all for you... remember?"

I tilted my head in a violent moment of confusion and sudden realisation as I attempted to mentally fix her words together and identify just what she had told me. "Huh?" I managed, the other words that were soon to come out my mouth would be a mere jumble of pure gibberish that even I couldn't put together or translate so that's why I had responded to her with a quick breath, it was better than embarrassing myself on a million words and questions that wanted to slip out that would only come out in a violent stutter.

"You forgot? Chishiya told me that when we collect all the cards they're all going to you" Kuina smiled, she almost seemed astonished as if she was surprised I had forgotten the information when in reality everything she was telling me was something I had never heard before. "He said that he's still going every day just so that he can get the cards for you to escape on your own" she chuckled, "He's not very good at showing it... I remember he told me not to tell you that-" she paused and widened her eyes abruptly, "He told me not to tell you any of that" She panicked.

Strangely I felt my heart sting with the words as a newly found weakness swept over my body as my brain translated her words to make full use of them as I tried to interpret and understand everything had she had just said.

"He made this plan for me?" I whispered softly, but strangely it was a completely plausible plan for Chishiya to make such an intense idea for just one person to benefit from it but that individual would always be himself... That's why I couldn't trust her words, if Chishiya wasn't winning in the end of the situation then I'm sure her words were lies.

Chishiya only did things that would help him... not others.

"Yeah" Kuina muttered shyly, she now seemed embarrassed to talk with me after spilling the secret Chishiya had been so desperate to hide. "You really didn't notice y/n?"

"How could I?" I argued quickly, I wasn't violent with her but instead quick witted. A quick amount of shock spewing over my body with her words, it was as if she were mocking me too. "He only cares about himself" 

Kuina scoffed, "Even you know that's a lie"

I raised my eyebrows.

"I've obviously seen a different Chishiya to the one you've grown up with" Kuina managed as she blew out her cheeks, "I feel like I know your whole life story the way he talks only about you, you're like his prized possession, the only conversation starter he has" She explained truthfully, I could identify the truth as she spoke to me with her eyes holding my own so intensely it was as if she were forcing me to trust her word and listen to her. "Maybe he was the most important person in his life in the past but were in some new world now y/n ... you've changed, I've changed and so has he and clearly you're now the most important person in his life"

There was a moments silence as I took in her words, I definitely struggled to do so.

"You won't tell him I told you? Will you?" Asked Kuina quickly.

"No" I said softly.

But I wondered if I would... only because now I wanted to call of the plan.

I wanted Chishiya to be the one to survive.