30

Arisu's shock had riddled his features.

The shock presented on his face had indicated his pure dissatisfaction as he held back his gag, he held down the rather unappealing and unappetising beach food in his stomach too, he had seemed ever so scared as he realised what was hidden in the grand blue bin emitting such an awful stench.

He strangely reminded me of myself the moment I had been assigned to unfortunately throw out the trash and had opened the large blue trash bin expecting to see a pile of out of date food; I presumed thats what the nauseating smell was. 

However, I had been shocked to find corpses piled ontop of one another, their bodies now a vibrant white and blue with the lack of blood circulation , their hands weakly thrown over one another, the sight so gruesome and stomach churning I had found myself closing the lid immediately and taking a few steps back to steady myself.

Just like what Arisu had done.

But I wished in the moment I had frozen in shock with the abnormal and jaw dropping discovery I had Chishiya with me... but Arisu did.

"That is the true nature of this utopia" Chishiya has called to the disturbed boy below us, Arisu had covered his mouth and nose with his shaking hand and he had looked abruptly towards us.

Mounted on the grand stairs we each looked down at him, Arisu's eyes flickered with recognition as he watched Chishiya.

Arisu's eyes were most likely flickering with that familiarity from the game they had participated in together, the remembrance of the male from the meeting that Arisu had been, unfortunately, apart of by simply standing wearily on the sidelines. Maybe it was all of those sudden accidental meetings that had caused Arisu to look at Chishiya so intensely.

He had glanced towards Kuina too, it could have been the familiarity of the blue swimsuit that she had wore that had caused the sparkle with recognition in his brown eyes, despite his own internal conflict, that sparkling recognition was most likely created due to the fact they had participated in a game together already... it could have been their conversation at the beach last night in which the militants had interrupted that Arisu seemed so awfully alert of her presence.

He recognised me too, I could tell from the way he had raised his eyebrows, I presumed it was from our ever so awkward conversation about the gut wrenching heart games we had both participated in, maybe it was from our awkward introduction when we had met eyes during the meeting.

But whoever it was that he recognised hadn't mattered for his eyes had been adverted towards Chishiya who stepped descended the stairs stepped closer to the paranoid male.

"This is the Beach's rule" finished Chishiya, and he looked at the boy expectantly... I wasn't sure just what he wanted the boy to say. But I had stood by Kuina, Kuina's comfort and confidence in the rather uncomfortable situation had surprised me and I tried desperately to cling onto it. "'Death to the traitors'" Chishiya quoted.

Arisu's breathing had suddenly become rather heavy in the moments of realisation, it was as if in the moment his hand had fallen from his nose and lips the unfortunate reality had slapped him over the face; The horror that the last rule of The Beach was in fact true, that it wasn't some abnormal rule just to scare those who were tempted to keep their cards, it wasn't just a mere idea to threaten the inhabitants.

It had been an awkward silence to advance to the roof in which Chishiya suggested Arisu follow us too.

Whilst the weather was good - an ocean blue sky that set above us met with an array of clouds, each one their own unique shape that had cast over the light blue - I couldn't ignore the mere awkwardness I felt from the silence.