29

There was one task for the following day, it wasn't to steal the cards, I had been tasked doing job that was neither exhausting or gruelling or even mentally challenging or physically.

It wasn't a job at that... to me it felt like a joke.

I was tasked to watch Arisu.

Follow him around the beach as he walked around asking questions to those who looked inviting, he jumped in and out of different friendship groups and individuals quickly before finding another group to ask his questions to.

Even I couldn't answer his absurd questions.

His suspicions and worries mirrored my own.

Kuina and Chishiya had rather strangely joint forces to observe Usagi... I wondered why I had been abandoned, why I was left with Arisu (the more important one out of the pair).

Why had I been left to watch him?

However, it had been an hour or so before I had been joined by the pair, Chishiya close by my side as he watched Arisu scan around the beach helplessly in the large crowd.

He was lost... in desperate need for answers.

His lack of knowledge obviously scared him.

"Find anything out?" Chishiya hummed, not looking at me, instead watching as Arisu drifted away to the back of the beach absentmindedly.

I was surprised we hadn't chased after him but instead we had let him go. I knew soon we would trail behind him closely; watching him so intensely that it was surprising he hadn't felt our presence lingering eerily in the air, how he hadn't now felt our eyes pinning on his figure as we stalked him to the back of the beach's building was prodigiously confusing to me.

Shaking my head I had glanced to Chishiya, Kuina stood beside him with her arms folded over her chest, her eyebrows raised... As usual.

"Are we letting him go?" Kuina asked loudly and she had seemed just as perturbed as I was with the odd task, the task we had been given so suddenly without any acceptance of questions from Kuina and I.

What is it that we're were doing for Chishiya? There were numerous other ideas we could use to reel the innocent boy into our cantankerous trap.

Chishiya had laughed, "Give it a minute, he'll make his way to the back of the beach, just like I thought he would"

Chishiya had irked me with his statement, he had wasted hours of my time watching the boy just for the scene to play out precisely how he had precious predicted.

"Why the back?" Kuina asked, and I had lagged behind a little not noticing we were beginning our stalking towards Arisu who had now completely disappeared from our sight.

Turning a corner away from us, his frame now but just a mere memory.

"He'll see it all, what the beach is really like and then he'll really want to be apart of our plan" Chishiya hummed, glancing at me, "Do you think it's a good idea?"

I nodded absentmindedly, deciding against opening up about my emotions based around his personal plan... the plan he made us participate in when he had always known just what the outcome would have been; wasting my time on something so irrelevant.

We had continued forwards and within just a few more steps I had felt someone brush their hand against mine.

A shocking physical sensation ever so unexpected in the silence surrounding us, it was a little tense with our own thoughts circulating around what Arisu would think when he discovered the beach's secret.

It was the body on the right to me that had touched so delicately over my skin, and I was on the end of our trio's formation... it could have only been his own, the soft touch, the gentle brush, so I decided to glance up the hand that had brushed over mine.

My eyes trailing up that ever so familiar grey almost white like hoodie of his, and with a soft smile he had looked back at me as if asking for me to look back at him.

It was almost like his actions were intended, Chishiya had planned to make me look at him, he had wanted me to meet his eyes in that moment with curiosity.

"You never answered that question by the way" He managed, his voice was surprisingly soft but I supposed it was because he didn't want to be too cacophonous for we were still Kuina's presence. However, Kuina was looking around aimlessly at the large building as if taking it all in once again.

Sometimes I was still in shock at the beach, after all it was previously such a high rated hotel but now it was a home for those in borderland, a place to take absolutely anyone who had found it in... it was useless now, it lost its previous cleanliness, its high class features and ever so beautiful and unique swimming pool and bedrooms always ready for new guests.

Now it was just the home of so many and those living at the beach were never consistent for death appeared so occasionally.

"Huh" I managed softly, I hadn't understood what one he was referring to but deep down I was sure I knew, I was definite I understood.

"You know" He smirked, almost as if he were amused with my reply.

I nodded, sighing gently, I hadn't necessarily had the confidence to tell him, I had found myself suddenly silenced by my own fear in the moment he had stared back at me expecting an answer, one of his eyebrows were raised as if prompting me to continue, his head leaned forested ever so slightly to suggest I finally tell him what I was thinking of.

"Yeah... I wanted the same thing you wanted that night" I had managed, my voice was a little apprehensive and definitely fainter than his had once been.

Strangely, he had looked relived, thankful and almost genuinely happy once again... all by the flicker that had danced gracefully for a moment behind his brown eyes, his happiness had reflected in the gentle upturn of his cherry tinted lips and his smile was ever so gentle as if he were suppressing it backwards.

But he chuckled, a kind chuckle, I was surprised that he wasn't mocking me.

"I'm glad" he sighed, Chishiya had pondered his vision away from me for a moment, he knew we were soon to approach Arisu and despite the words I had overwhelmed him with he would have to continue to keep up his hard exterior.

Just to appear strong to Arisu.

"Let's do it again sometime, but let's make sure no one knocks at the door. Alright?" Chishiya had said, a shrug of his shoulders as if it were just a suggestion but even I could identify the childlike excitement that had inundated his vocal chords.

"Sure" I replied; blitheness and calmness weren't words enough to describe the pure tranquility and relief I had felt in that moment despite the events about to occur.

I held back such an odd happiness that even I had been confused by the emotion that raptured my mind and swallowed me whole.

"I'll be waiting y/n" He finished.