00| Prologue

"For once in your life Ruth, act mature." Emma screeched in my ears. You could hear the underlying tinge of frustration in her voice. And it made me feel bad, really bad.

"Though we know you're your mommy's little girl, but at least you have been hanging out with us long enough to know that if you don't attend the yearly check-in party, you're as good as dead to us"

I felt like the ground would open up and swallow me down, then spit me back out at my house. In my mind, it had. I could see my house just the way I had left it, the cushions, the blind curtains, everything. But my leg remained stuck on the ground, not granting me any movement.

"Emma, you know my dad isn't going to let me. You know how my parents are." I tried desperately to convince them. By grace, I had narrowly escaped last year's check-in party, giving this same irrelevant excuse. But I guess they got tired of hearing it every year, and luck doesn't seem to be on my side today either.

"I don't know how you will make it to that party girl, and seriously I don't care. You must either be there," Emma said, pointing to the trash can close to her, then to herself. "Or here. Make your choice."

I opened my mouth to say something, anything, but the words seemed to have been stuck in my throat. They just wouldn't come out, even with force.

My gaze lingered on their faces again, my eyes stretching upwards to their glinting faces and down to their expensive designer dresses. Then I looked down at myself, the difference was clear. They were wearing the latest outfits in town, while I still had on the last edition of clothes. Although, my family isn't financially buoyant, but we are more than capable of fending for ourselves. Sometimes, I wonder why they hang out me, I am far below their league, our classes could never match. Maybe for pity? Definitely because of pity.

"Emma, be nice. Stop acting like a bitch to her, she's still part of the gang. For now," Throwing me a very pitiful glance over her shoulder, she flicked her hair over my face. I looked down again, even my entire fragrance couldn't compete with the scent of her hair. Long, silky and slick. "You'll find a way to make your parents agree or... " She snapped her pointy fingers at my face and turned back facing the rest of the girls. "Girls out!"

I stared at them in oblivion as they walked off, leaving me on the almost empty field, safe for the constant throw of footballs by students around. My reputation was at stake, I couldn't let it all go. Not when I thought I had everything. I'm just starting to move up the social ladder, I refuse to go back to square one. Never.

I can't wait till I reach Eighteen, I'll definitely rock that age. But till then, I have to prepare.

I have a party to attend.

♦♦♦♦♦

The odour exhibiting from the house was putrid. It was a weird combination of sweat, alcohol and colognes missed together. Plus puke and smoke too. It smelled horrific, and it made my inside my insides clutch with uneasiness. The sight before my eyes was even worse, I had never seen anything like it before. If it weren't for the fact that this is my first time of attending a school party, or the fact that I know most of the students here, I would have thought they were above who they really are.

I pushed my way inside the house, my face dripping with sweat even before I reached the bar area.

I plopped myself down on a stool. The young guy stationed on the bar turned to me, a smile on his face. I swallowed my cringe.

"Can I get you anything? Water? A soda? Or a black cola? You could try vodka out if you want something stronger," I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. The only thing I would rather be doing is to sleep my life, instead of being in this suffocating environment. Yet, this one is here asking me if I want a drink. "Hold on, let me get it for you."