10| Chapter ten

I don't have any idea where I'm heading to but you know I did what a normal teenager who had an emotional problem like me would have done. I ran out.

Don't blame me, blame my stupid emotions.

Immediately I stepped foot out of our compound, I wished I had ran up to my room instead of running out. At that moment, the house was so suffocating I needed fresh air.

"Ahn ahn oyinbo baby!"

I didn't even look back to see if he was referring to me or not, but who else would he call oyimbo if not I?

I was light skinned, we all are. If there's anything I like about myself, it would be my skin color. It was so pure like something else. We got that trait from mum, everyone did.

"Are you ok? Where are you going? You don't usually come out in the evening now. Were you sent on an errand?" He persisted.

For heaven's sake, can someone kill me now?

I quickened my pace as I realized he was following me.

I was like five houses away from mine when I realized I didn't know where exactly I was heading to. These people that I call family will still be the death of me one day.

"At least tell me where you are going so I can walk you down." He said as he fell into step with me because I kind of slowed my pace.

Remind me why I left the house again.

Immediately, my resolve ran out and I snapped at him. "Cane— Stick, Tree— Or whatever you are called—"

"It's Kane." He corrected. Do I look like I care?

Fool.

"Whatever. I don't want to know cause I don't care whatever the hell your name is. You have been following me right as I stepped my foot out of my compound without my permission, now you're asking if you can walk me down to where I am headed to.
Are you high on something."

I was screaming at him but I didn't care if the whole estate residents come out this evening, I am willing and capable of screaming their heads off.

His face first contorted into a deep frown, then he released a gentle smile like he knew what these was all about and he could make all my worries fly away with the cold wind that was starting to blow.

My dad hasn't come out to find me. Well, that's surprising.

"Ruth, I was on my way home from my late shift when I saw you coming out of your compound, this will make it the second time I'll be seeing you. From the very first time I saw you, you looked so sad—"

I couldn't keep it bottled up inside of me anymore, I broke down in heart wrenching sobs. Slowly, I slide down to the floor.

He kept quiet as he saw I was no longer listening to him. He looked at me in confusion.

Ruth, get your shit together! You are crying in front of a stranger. A handsome one at that.

I just kept on crying till I was sure there were no more liquid in my tear gland.

Kneeling down close to me, he pulled me into his arms.

This is weird. Why am I not fighting to wriggle out of his hold? I guess I'm to tired to. I need all the hugs I can get right now.

"Shush shush."  He comforted me. Slowly, my sobs began to reduce to whimpers.

If anyone sees us in this position they will think we are both mad. I really don't have to worry about that, because at our side of the estate everyone retires to their houses latest by eight pm. I am very sure the time is well past eight right now.