04| Chapter four

"Awwwn... Let's get married Ruth." My brother, Zion cooed as he snuggled up closer to me on his bed.

Quickly I pushed him off. "I rebuke every evil spirit in you. Do you remember that I'm your sister? Are you high on oxygen?" These children will never cease to amaze me everyday.

We just finished watching a movie on his laptop titled 'Playing with fire'. I even cried small at the ending.

"Jeez. You're too uptight jare." He replied laughing.

Na so e dey start. Like play like play e go upgrade go '
Let's kiss nah Ruth'.

"Don't joke about something so disgusting like that with me please." I threw back at him angrily as I made my way out of his room.

"Which part is disgusting in what I said? Is it the marriage part or the fact that I want to marry you?" He replied, smirking.

"Idiot." I banged the door close as I got out of his room.

"Sis! Popsy has been yelling your name for over five minutes now. Where have you been?"

"Zoe, I'm standing right here in front of you, please stop screaming."  I screamed back at her.

"Ruth!"

"Yes sir! Please get out of my way jare." Pushing Zoe to a side, I ran downstairs.

"I have been calling your name since. Where were you?"

"I was watching a movie together with Zion in his room and the door was closed so maybe that's why—" I quickly kept quiet as I saw my mum walk in with my phone with her.

Tears were streaming down her face.

"Why are you hell bent on ruining the image of this family, Ruth?" She asked, throwing my phone back at me.

Quickly, I stretched out my hands to catch it. I noticed she went through my chats on Whatsap.

"We are trying our best to make you a reasonable person in future Ruth. But no, you are bent on living your life recklessly ehn." My mum screamed at me.

"Zoe and Zion, get down here this instant." My dad called for my sibling to come and witness the way they their irresponsible sister is living her life.

"Ruth you see, I wasn't expecting something like this from you. Not with your experience, not now, not ever." My dad added looking at me with so much disappointment in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes mentally at their drama.

"So a cat ate your tongue abi?" my mum snapped at me eyeing me with disgust in her eyes.

I never knew the tiles could be so fascinating. I kept on studying the tiles and surely wasn't expecting the slap my mum borrowed me.

Ok, they mean business.

"Mum—" Zion tried protesting on my behalf.

"What was that for?" Zoe completed for him.

I just sat there my hands holding on to my cheek with tears streaming down both cheeks.

"Are you asking me? Ask your stupid sister." My mum shot back.

"All you have managed to bring to this family is disgrace Ruth and all I will tell you is that your children will do the same to you." My father said with anger which was clearly visible with the way he was clenching and unclenching his fist.

"Are you going to tell us what she did or not?" Zoe snapped at my dad.

"Watch your mouth young lady." My dad warned.