23| Chapter twenty three

We really wanna thank you guys for all the support, late Eighteen is almost at 2k reads and we couldn't be more grateful for y'all. Continue like this and we promise to give you vibes back to back in return!

-

Karma keeps catching up with me.

Don't ask me why, because honestly, I'm still struggling to find that answer myself. How come anytime I try to abandon my past and for once face reality, and pretend everything is normal— that I am normal— something ends up occuring that takes me back to square one?

Here I am, alone in my classroom, even when everyone's lounging around for break, trying to avoid someone who I can't even find in sight. From the moment the principal introduced him to the class, I have not being myself. I was hoping I would close my eyes for a minute or so, and perhaps when I open them, everything would be a dream.

But alas! He's still here.

I watched him get introduced to every teacher for the first three periods. He would smile— that stupid smile that makes every girl swoon, that once made me swoon— and pretend like everything's normal. For God's sake, he didn't even spare me a glance or anything and seriously, I'm already getting tired of it.

Abeg, I can't come and kill myself with hunger because I'm trying to avoid one boy.

I should get something to eat before I die here and nobody would even notice that I'm dead.

Immediately I walked out, I came face to face with the devil himself.

Why is this life just against me today? I should have just stayed inside, instead of falling into a trap I made myself.

He looked as if he was about to enter the classroom himself, so I guess I would have met him one way or the other. Besides, I can't continue to avoid him, it's high time I played the ball into my court.

"Ruth." He breathed, clearly startled from bumping into me.

"Mike." I gave a Cheshire grin, rubbing my hands together awkwardly. The way he was looking at me so intensely was making me quite nervous and flustered and I don't even know why. "How have you been?"

"I missed you calling me that." He murmured sadly.

"What?" I asked dumbly, pretending to be absent minded about those old memories. Honestly, it feels just like yesterday, when everything was just normal.

If there's one thing I can never get, then it should be normality. I've been craving for that for months, and it's been invalid, especially after the incident.

"My name I mean. You used to call me Mike, not until you left, I missed you calling me that."

I chuckled and bounced awkwardly on my white Nike sneakers, before letting a short breath escape my mouth.

His gaze dropped to my short straight skirt, which rested softly before my knees, then back to my eyes. "You have changed."

I raised a brow at him, confusion written all over my face. "How do you mean?"

"You look more beautiful, and more mature. Not that you weren't always mature, but you know what I mean." He rambled, now looking awkward and I blushed.