06| Chapter six

It's already past six weeks of school and our midterm break was around the corner. Tests upon tests were upon my head, but we only had three days left before it's all over. I can't wait.

"Chaii, how am I going to cram all this botanical names now?" I groaned, my head buried deep in my books as I sat close to some of my classmates, glaring at the useless big names I have to learn.

"I dey tell you, abeg which one is tripanonomu—" Carolina began and I burst out laughing.

"It's tripanosomiasis, another name for tse tse fly, sleeping sickness." Dominic corrected her, rolling his eyes.

"I know it, I was just playing." Carolina said, trying to cover up for the embarrassment.

We burst out laughing again.

"Who asked you to come to science class if you know you can't memorize names?"

Carolina quirked an eyebrow at Dominic.

"Mumu, is it only science students that does biology?" Carolina asked, snickering loudly.

"Are you a science student or not?" Dominic retorted.

"Well, I am but—"

"Case closed. Besides, you know biology is not a must for commercial and art students."

"At least I know how to recite multiplication table six unlike you, yet you're in SSS 3. Who made you a class monitor again?" Carolina jested and we burst out laughing again.

Two weeks ago, our mathematics teacher, Mrs. Badmus wanted to give us an oral test, so she asked everyone to recite multiplication table six individually. She was so positive we would fail and we wanted to prove her wrong. When it got to Dominic's turn, he couldn't even say a thing. The funniest thing was that he was asked to recite time table three and he still couldn't recite.

Mrs. Badmus swore we wouldn't pass NECO, talkless of passing WAEC. Since then, everyone couldn't stop laughing at him.

"Shut up, your brain's still empty no matter what. I would have said something but I forgot it at that moment. Trust me, immediately she left, everything came back." Dominic picked up his book and left the class.

We laughed harder.

"Empty head!" Carolina called after him, a big laugh escaping her. "Class captain with no sense."

"Caro, stop abusing Dom like that nah, it's not as if you are any better." James who was standing at the back of the class, a book on his hand shouted, glaring at Carolina.

The whole class got silent, James's voice was that loud.

"Who's talking to this one o? If I ask you to tell me the formula to find the weight of a cone, you'll be scratching that your big head."

The way she was demonstrating with her hands made the whole class crack harder. Two minutes later, we had a whole class laughing like a bunch of deranged people.

"Is it the weight of a cone I don't know? It's—"

"Mumu, shey cone still get weight?" Carolina shrieked and the whole class burst into laughter again.

Mubarak, one of our classmates walked towards him, shaking his head.

"My brother, it's not too late, you can still go back to JSS 2, your papa get the money after all."

Everyone was rolling on the floor at this point and I could feel myself falling off my chair because of laughter.

"Or he can just write WAEC. After he writes it three to four times, he will know what we're talking about." I butted in.