35| Chapter thirty five

Thank you guys so much for your constant support, I really appreciate it. And to the new readers, please enjoy this book till the end, I love y'all. Don't forget to click on the small star below, it doesn't hurt! :^)

"Aren't you guys ready yet?" Mom questioned with impatience and irritation very evident in her voice. "Our reservation is at seven, it's past six PM and only Ruth is ready yet, not even Zion who's just supposed to throw on a t-shirt and wear a jean! May I remind you that the drive to the restaurant takes atleast fifteen minutes?"

If you're wondering about the current situation at hand, worry no more. My mum thought it'd be a good idea to celebrate my almost concluded examination and the twins' birthday altogether as one special occasion by going out for dinner at an upscale restaurant downtown.

Since they'd be traveling on Thursday for business again, they both— my mum and Dad— decided to take us out today instead, today being Sunday and a free day for them. Although, Zion and Zoe's birthday isn't until Tuesday and my last paper was scheduled towards late afternoon on Tuesday too.

I was the first person to walk down the stairs, since I didn't really have much to do. I had done my hair into big box braids the day before, and I also made sure to pick out my outfit and shoes since I knew how mum could be sometimes. All I had to do was to pack my hair into a ponytail so that it reached my butt, and apply barely noticeable makeup to avoid my mum's wrath.

My mum doesn't hate makeup, but I can assure you that she detests too much of it. She likes everything natural, her own definition of it being applying white powder and a little bit of clear lip balm. She argues everytime that God knew what he was doing when he distributed natural beauty to every single person, and that we shouldn't use the worldly pancake to cover that beauty.

Beauty resides in your heart, not on your face, she'd always say. As much as I would always want to argue, I made sure to keep my mouth shut.

"Just because I'm a boy doesn't mean I have to wear trash mum, I have taste too." Zion all but scoffed as he walked down the stairs slowly as if we had all the time in the world in our hands, dressed in a simple blue button down shirt and blue jean.

I don't think I'd ever understand boys. How could a human being, in his right senses, use a good thirty minutes just to wear a simple shirt and a jean?

I only need thirty minutes to get fully ready, and that's not time consuming because I'm a girl. What could he possibly need thirty minutes for? It's not as if he has to do skincare or wear bra.

"Can you keep quiet young man before I make you?" Mum snapped angrily. "Where's that your sister of yours?" She picked up her bag, swinging the house keys in her hands as she started to walk towards the front door.

I picked my round egg shaped purse and followed after her.

"I'm here mum." Came Zoe's voice from above the stairs. The second I saw her face and her entire outfit, I knew deep in my heart that she would have a big problem with mum.

Here we go again.

"What is this nonsense you're wearing? Who are you following with those death traps tied to your legs?" Mum thundered as she rushed back into the house with anger on her face. I rolled my eyes and brought out my phone to play a game, Zion too doing the same.

It'd take a while before we get on the road, might as well make best use of my time.

Dad, who had been watching the whole scene unfold quietly stood up from his seat on the couch and picked his car keys with anger on his face. "When you guys are done with this madness, meet me outside. Let me remind you that we only have less than twenty minutes to get to that restaurant, no upkeep money for one week for all of you if our reservation is cancelled. Zion, Ruth, in the car now." Then he walked out, complaining about how Rachel and her children always made him late.