chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT: NIGHTMARES

I felt dizzy. I tried to shake the feeling away, but it was useless-I remained dizzy. There was a nauseating feeling in the back of my throat, and my head was pounding. I could feel someone pulling me to my feet, my surroundings were a blur. I couldn't recognize anything that I could see.

I didn't sleep well. Nightmares of the Winter Soldier had plagued my mind all night. Whenever I woke up, startled and confused, my vision remained blurred. There was red in my peripheral vision.

"It's okay." There was a voice in my ear, "we're almost there." My feet dragged across the ground. I felt rocks poking into the souls of my feet-gravel, maybe.

"Almost where?" I slurred out, my vision was beginning to clear, but the red in my peripheral remained. "What is this place?"

Ahead of us was a house. It looked like any old home, nothing special. It looked comfortable. "Safe house, I suppose." Tony's voice rang in my ear. I could only assume that the others had been knocked out by Wanda as well, stuck in a daze. Stuck in a nightmare.

Once we reached the front porch, Thor's unusually soft voice broke the silence. "What is this place?" He asked, sounding tired. I couldn't even imagine what he would have seen in his vision.

"A safe house?" Tony repeated to Thor, although, this time he sounded more unsure. He shrugged.

"Let's hope." Clint replied, his arm was around Nat as he helped her walk. He opened the door and I had to admit, it was a very nice house. "Honey, I'm home!"

"Honey?" I questioned, the corners of my mouth pulling downwards into a frown. Realization dawned on me, "the girlfriend." I whispered to myself, remembering the phone call that Clint was on not so long ago. Tony, having heard what I said, looked even more confused than before.

I looked up to see a pregnant woman making her way over to us, a small smile on her face. She was absolutely beautiful. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead." Clint apologized to the woman.

"Hey." She smiled before giving him a kiss.

"This is an agent of some kind." Tony sounded certain of that, he stared at the women with squinted eyes.

"Huh?" I mumbled.

"Guys, this is Laura." Clint introduced politely, an arm around her shoulder.

"Hi." I said quietly, with a small wave. I continued to sway slightly, my mind hazy, but I still had manners.

Laura sent me a small smile as she waved back. "I know... all your names." She shrugged sheepishly.

Suddenly, we were all drawn to the sound of footsteps coming our way, "oh, incoming!" A wide grin appeared on Clint's face. Before I could figure out who was running over, two children tackled Clint into a hug.

"Dad!" The small girl smiled as Clint happily picked her up.

I made my way towards Steve, stumbling slightly before I stood beside him. "I thought he only had a girlfriend." I said softly, my head tilted in confusion.

"Well, he never said if he had children or not." Steve shrugged, his eyes trained on the family in front of us.

"These are... smaller agents." Tony mumbled, a finger pointed at the children.

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" Clint's daughter asked, looking up at Clint with hopeful eyes.

Natasha looked over at the girl with a wide smile before walking towards her excitedly, "why don't you hug her and find out?" She said before scooping up the little girl in her arms, giving her a hug.