chapter thirty eight

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: TIME TRAVEL; TEST ONE

Time travel. It's definitely no easy task, and it still sounds impossible. It should be impossible. But, I've seen many things in my life, and time travel is not one of them. There's no way I'm missing this.

I watched Bruce with interest as he fiddled with a machine that he had made. Scott was in his Ant-Man suit, standing in front of a van (which was no regular van, as the back doors were open to show a piece of machinery that I couldn't quite figure out). Steve stood by my side, while Natasha stood on the other side of Bruce. We were all here, and we were all ready.

Bruce broke the somewhat silent atmosphere as he looked up to Scott, "okay, here we go. Time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the uhhh... the van thing." Scott did as asked, and the portal whooshed as it roared to life. There were lights, and wires and so many other things that I couldn't name.

Steve walked around the van, "breakers are set, emergency generators are on standby."

Bruce nodded at him, "good. 'Cause if we blow the grid, I don't wanna lose Tiny here in the 1950's." I looked over at Bruce with wide eyes at his statement.

"What?" I mumbled.

Scott seemed equally concerned, "excuse me?"

Natasha rolled her eyes as she clicked a few buttons on a tablet, "he's kidding." She reassured. Then, she leaned in closer to Bruce, talking in a hushed voice, "you can't say things like that."

"Just... it was a bad joke." Bruce stuttered out with a shrug, causing me to roll my eyes with a soft chuckle escaping my lips.

Natasha looked up at him, "you were kidding, right?"

Bruce looked mildly panicked, as he whispered to her, "I have no idea. We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke, or none of it is." He then turned to Scott and sent him a thumbs up, his voice much louder now as he spoke, "we're good! Get your helmet on, Scott. I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Makes sense?"

Scott shrugged with a half smile, "perfectly not confusing."

I frowned, "I'm confused."

Bruce huffed, "well, it's a good thing I'm not sending you through time then, huh?" I glared at him in response.

Steve sent Scott a quick nod, "good luck, Scott. You got this."

Scott smiled widely at the man, failing to hide his excitement. "You're right. I do, Captain America."

Then, Bruce pressed the button to trigger the time machine... van. Scott vanished through the tunnel in the back of the van, and I held my breath in anticipation, waiting for his quick arrival. Bruce spoke once more, "on the count of three. 3... 2... 1!"

Bruce pressed the button on the machine, and through the tunnel came someone who did not look like Scott. "Shit." I muttered, staring wide eyed at the teenager within Scott's suit. Teenage Scott?

"Uh, guys?" Teenage Scott frowned, "this... this doesn't feel right."

Steve couldn't take his eyes off the teenager as he questioned Bruce, "what is this?"

Bruce didn't know either, "what's going on?"

"That... who is that?" Natasha frowned, tilting her head at the teen. I nervously ran a hand through my hair.

"This isn't happening." I muttered, "this is not happening."

Bruce began pressing multiple buttons in his panic, trying to fix the problem with teenage Scott. "Hold on." He spoke in an attempt to keep everyone calm, including himself.

"Is that Scott?" Natasha was genuinely confused, as were the rest of us. This all felt like some sick and twisted dream about Scott finally having a genius idea, and then it all ends up going south. Oh wait. Somehow, this is reality.

"Yes, it's Scott!" Teenage Scott shouted back, wide eyed. Nope. This can't be happening.

Teen Scott was then sucked back into the tunnel without warning, and spit back out moments later. As if this couldn't get any worse, he was now at around 80 years old. What the hell is going on?

"Ow! My back!" Old Scott complained, grimacing as he held a hand on his lower back.

"What is this?" Steve turned to Bruce once more, who clearly still didn't know what he was doing.

Bruce waved the question off, "can I get a little space here?"

"Yeah, yeah. Can you bring him back?" Steve continued to question Bruce.

I nodded, "yeah. Hey, is this a crime? Did we technically just shorten Scott's lifespan? We've gotta be breaking some laws here."

"Quinn, stop panicking before we all lose our minds with your ranting." Natasha stopped me before I could continue on. I reluctantly complied, keeping my eyes trained on Scott.

"I'm working on bringing him back!" Bruce brought us back on track, or in other words, he needed us to shut up so he could focus. Old Scott was sucked back into the tunnel once more, before being brought back out again.

I stared at him in disbelief, "oh, for the love of-"

"It's a baby." Steve deadpanned, looking at Scott Lang in disbelief. A baby's face was seen through the mask of the Ant-Man suit, looking around at all of us in awe. Unbelievable.

"It's Scott." Bruce shrugged.

"As a baby!"

"He'll grow."

"Bring Scott back!"

Bruce quickly pointed to Nat, "when I say kill the power, kill the power."

Natasha huffed, walking off to do as told, "Oh my God." She stopped at the generator, waiting for the signal.

"And..." Bruce paused, waiting for the right moment, "kill it!"

Nat yanked down on the lever, and everything was shut down. Finally, the normal Scott appeared at the end of the tunnel. I let out a sigh of relief at the sight, realizing how much I would've missed Scott if we had lost him, again.

"Somebody peed my pants." Scott looked around the room, eyes completely wide.

"Oh thank god." Natasha sighed, relieved to see our Scott, and not another version of him (past or future). I laughed slightly in disbelief.

Scott continued, his arms out wide as if he was scared to move, "but I don't know if it was 'baby' me, or 'old' me... or just 'me' me."

Bruce smiled widely as if this was his greatest achievement in life, "time travel!" He raised his hands in the air in happiness. Steve said nothing, he simply shook his head and walked away, a look of disbelief on his face. "What? I... I see this as an absolute win!"

"Bruce," I got his attention, causing him to turn and look at me. "No." Was all I said, and he quickly got the message.

-----
lizzie speaks...

hello! i haven't had wifi since may 29th so i haven't been able to update. but today i got bored and googled the script to write at least one chapter. now, i didn't have the visuals bc i don't wanna waste data by watching the movie, so i'm sorry if this isn't as detailed as you want it. i tried my best.

also idk if i'll continue looking up the script to publish, but i'll try. again, i can only use data and i have a limited amount so i can't do this all the time, but i'll try to get this done soon. hopefully i have wifi within a month or so, but take that with a grain of salt.

thank you to everyone who stuck around, y'all are the best! <3