chapter twenty three

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: ZEMO

I groaned softly at the device around my neck, which I had quickly learned was keeping me from using my powers. "Why did they even put me in this thing? It's not like I'm gonna do anything."

Steve frowned, "I'm sure they'll take it off soon." he reassured, but I didn't believe him. I don't even think he believed himself.

There was a small pause of silence, "so, you like cats?" Sam asked from beside me with a raised brow, looking towards T'Challa who had been completely silent up until now.

"Sam." Steve sighed in annoyance while I let a small smile grow on my face, even in the terrible circumstances.

"What?" Sam turned to the Captain with a scoff, "dude shows up dressed like a cat, you don't wanna know more?"

Steve shrugged, turning to T'Challa, "you're suit... it's Vibranium?"

T'Challa glanced back at him, a soft look on his face that masked his true emotions. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior." He began to explain, "and now, because your friend murdered my father... I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you... as both warrior and king... how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

I stared down at the floor after he had finished talking, the rest of the drive to wherever was silent. Steve glanced at me, the two of us exchanging worried looks. I sighed softly as I looked away, my frown deepened.

I got out of the vehicle and looked around at my new surroundings as I walked with the others. "What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asked as we walked up to Sharon and a man with guards behind him. The guards stared at us, as if waiting for us to make any sudden movements.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you." The man replied, a blank expression on his face. "Psychological evaluation and extradition."

"This is Everett Ross," Sharon introduced, "deputy task force commander."

"What about a lawyer?" Steve asked.

"Lawyer." Ross chuckled, causing me to tilt my head, "that's funny." He nodded to the guards behind him, "see their weapons are placed in lockup. We'll write you a receipt."

Sam watched as our weapons were taken from us, down a long hallway, "I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that."

As we started to walk away, following the directions as told, I looked back to see Bucky locked up with a small frown on his face. I sighed softly, catching up with Steve as he carried the same look on his face.

Ross led us down a hallway, "you'll be provided with an office, instead of a cell. Now, do me a favour, stay in it?"

T'Challa nodded, "I don't intend on going anywhere."

I turned my head to Natasha, surprised to see her, as she walked up to Steve with her lips drawn into a thin line. "For the record, this is what making things worse looks like."

Steve ignored her comment, "he's alive."

"Romania was not accords-sanctioned." Tony's voice sounded from the end of the hall, he was in a small office on a phone call. "Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup."

"Try not to break anything while we fix this." Natasha grumbled to Steve and I as she walked away.

"Consequences?" Tony raised a brow, "you bet there'll be consequences." He paused as whoever was on the other end of the line spoke, "obviously you can quote me on that, because I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir."