prologue !

PROLOGUE: WHISPERS

1941

My footsteps were soft as I crept forward, cautious of my surroundings. I didn't know where I was, or how I got here, I just knew that I needed to get out as fast as I could.

I held my arms close to my chest to fight back the cold, my eyes scanning over the dark hallway. The walls were dirtied, covered in rusted metal pipes and mold. Water seeped from the ceiling, dripping down onto the floor. There was one singular light up ahead, and I walked towards it like it was my lifeline.

It pulsed, growing brighter and darker as the seconds went by. It was like a beating heart in the darkness, and I couldn't help but want to run towards it. But I had to be careful in this unknown place, or I would end up getting hurt.

So, I kept my steps at a slow pace. Step... step... step... even the dripping water from the ceiling was faster than me. Slow and steady wins the race, I suppose.

When I neared the light, I realized it was coming from underneath a door. I frowned at it, my head tilting. I inched closer to the door, pressing my ear against it. There was nothing that I could hear. The room sounded dead silent from where I stood.

I inhaled softly as if I was scared that someone nearby would hear my breathing. I exhaled just as carefully. With a few moments to prepare myself for what I might be seeing, I reached out to the rusted doorknob and slowly turned it to the right. It scraped and creaked, but opening the door was far louder. I cringed at the sounds of the old metal hinges that desperately needed to be replaced. Hell, everything in this building needed to be replaced.

I had to squint my eyes from what I saw, but when they adjusted to the light, I found myself staring in awe. A yellow stone floated about the room, it's light bright enough to fill the entire room. I felt entranced by it, I couldn't look away.

Slowly, I walked in the room, closing the door behind me. I was now unfazed by the creaking of it, too focused on the stone ahead.

Just as I closed the door, the stone stopped in it's place. It was directly in the centre of the room, just floating there. It was as if it was aware of my presence; I tilted my head at it.

Slowly, the stone crept towards me. I couldn't move, my feet glued to the floor. It stopped when it was only a foot from my face, close enough for me to touch it.

I was snapped out of my daze at the sounds of the whispers. There were soft voices coming from the stone, too soft for me to hear clearly. I tilted my head to the side to hear better, but all the words had jumbled together, completely unintelligible.

Then, one word became clear. Demigod.

My eyes shot open wide, my lungs heaving. I looked around at my new surroundings in complete and utter confusion, grasping to find something to ground me. I found myself looking at a photograph on my nightstand; it was my brother and I when we were eight, our smiles wide and beaming. I slowly calmed my breathing, and my heartbeat slowed. It was a dream.

What a ridiculous dream it was. A yellow stone? Demigod? I must be losing my mind.

With one glance to the clock, I let my eyes grow wide as I realized that I had woken up just when I needed to be in for work. I was sure to be late. So, I rushed to get ready before flying out the door, leaving the house empty. My roommate, Steve Rogers, wasn't home. He was probably off trying to get into the army, even after being denied so many times. Typical Steve.

But that didn't matter to me. What mattered right now was getting to work and getting my pay check by the end of the week. I was already broke as is, I didn't need to lose even more money.

-----
lizzie speaks...

hey y'all

welcome to the rewritten version of Porcelain. updates will be random