chapter forty

CHAPTER FORTY: FIGURING OUT A PLAN

Now that we know how to time travel (which is still mind blowing), we had to figure out a plan. We can't just blindly go back in time and hope for the best. This had to be well thought out.

All of us sat around a large table in the conference room which had multiple hologram displays around of the Infinity Stones, and information about them. Tony, Steve and Bruce were pacing around the front, being the leaders of this discussion.

Steve was the first to speak after a few moments, "okay, so the 'how' works. Now we gotta figure out the when and the where. Almost all of us has had an encounter with at least one of the six Infinity Stones."

Tony hummed, "well I'd substitute the word encounter for damn well near been killed by one of the six Infinity Stones."

"I haven't," Scott interrupted from where he sat at the table, which was next to me. "I don't even know what the hell you're all talking about." I chuckled softly at the lost look in his wide eyes.

Bruce ignored what he said, although he wasn't trying to be rude, "regardless, we only have enough Pym Particles for one round trip each, and these stones have been in a lot of different places throughout history."

"Our history. So, not a lot of convenient spots to just drop in." Tony said.

Clint nodded in agreement, "which means we have to pick our targets."

"Correct."

Steve turned to Thor, who didn't seem to be paying much attention, "let's start with the Aether. Thor, what do you know?"

I turned to face Thor when we didn't hear a response. I almost burst out laughing at the sight of him sitting in a chair in the back corner of the room, with sunglasses over his eyes.

"Is he asleep?" Natasha asked.

Rhodey shook his head, a tired look on his face, "no, I'm pretty sure he's dead."

I frowned, "or he's watching us. We'd never know because of the sunglasses over his eyes." I said, causing Scott to point to me in agreement.

"You're so right." Was all he said, before narrowing his eyes at Thor, as if trying to figure out if he was watching us or not.

Thor then shot up, making it hard to tell what was going on with him moments ago. If he was asleep, he somehow heard everything we were saying because he immediately began to explain the Aether. "Where to start? Umm... The Aether, first, it's not a stone, someone called it a stone before. It's more of a... an angry sludge thing, so... someones gonna need to amend that. Here's an interesting story though, many years ago... My grandfather had to hide the stones from the Dark Elves..."

Thor wiggled his fingers around at us for effect, "wooooh, scary beings. So Jane," an image of Jane Foster appeared on the screen at the front of the room. "Oh, there she is. That's Jane... She's... an old flame of mine... She... she stuck her hand inside a rock this one time... and then the Aether stuck itself inside her... And, she became very, very sick. So I had to take her to Asgard, which is where I'm from." Scott seemed the most interested, as he smiled widely and nodded his head at the god. (I honestly really loved Scott, and wouldn't mind having him around more.) "And we had to try and fix her. We were dating at the time, you see. I got to introduce her to my Mother... who's dead,"

Thor looked to be on the verge of tears now, causing me to frown. "And oh you know, Jane and I aren't even dating anymore, these things happen though you know, nothing lasts forever,"

I stood up, making my way to Thor, "maybe you should sit down. You can explain more later."

Thor brushed me off, "I'm not done yet, the only thing permanent in life is impermanence."

I nodded slowly, "that's so wise. Wow, buddy."

"Awesome." Tony chimed in, trying to get the drunk man to sit. "Eggs? Breakfast?"

Thor chuckled as if it was a ridiculous thought, "I'd like a Bloody Mary, thank you."

It wasn't long before we all managed to get some food. We sat around the table eating (while Thor drank) as we discussed the next stone. This time, it was Rocket's turn to explain. "Quill said he stole the Power Stone from Morag." He said, walking around on the table so that he could reach everyone's height (while we all sat down in chairs).

Scott frowned, "is that a person?"

"Morag's a planet. Quill was a person."

Scott was getting excited now, "a planet? Like in outer space?"

Rocket seemed to notice how happy the man had gotten, and began petting the top of his head as he said, "oh, look. It's like a little puppy, all happy and everything. Do you wanna go to space? You wanna go to space, puppy? I'll get you to space." I had to hide my laughs at that, especially after seeing the look on Scott's face.

Next, Nebula began explaining the soul stone. Natasha was sat on the arm of a chair, taking notes. "Thanos found the Soul Stone on Vormir." Nebula explained, her eyes distant.

Natasha looked up from her notebook, "what is Vormir?"

"A dominion of death, at the very center of Celestial existence. It's where..." Nebula paused, "Thanos murdered my sister." The room went completely silent. Natasha slowly wrote down what Nebula had said, minus the passing of her sister.

Scott broke the silence, "not it."

Finally, that left Tony, Natasha, Bruce and I to figure out how to find the rest of the stones with the little amount of Pym Particles we have. Tony, Nat and I laid on the table, while Bruce took up a good chunk of the floor. "That Time Stone guy..." Natasha pondered.

"Doctor Strange." Bruce hummed.

"Yeah, what kind of doctor was he?"

"Ear-nose-throat meets rabbit from a hat." Tony spoke.

"What?" I frowned, "I think he was some kinda... brain doctor."

Bruce nodded, "nice place in the village, though."

"Yeah." Tony muttered, "Sullivan Street."

"Hmm... Bleecker."

Natasha frowned, "wait, he lived in New York?"

"No. He lived in Toronto. Were you even paying attention?" Tony turned his head to look at her. I slowly turned to look at him.

"Guys, if you pick the right year, there are three stones in New York."

My eyes widened in realization, as did everyone else's. Bruce shot up into a sitting position, "shut the front door."

"Nat, you're a genius!" I pulled her into a bone crushing hug.

"I wouldn't call that genius. More like attention to detail, but I'll take the compliment." She smiled widely at me.

-----
lizzie speaks...

again, if i miss details it's bc i can only read the script and not watch the movie rn, but i don't want this to be on hold forever so this is the best i can do