chapter forty five

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: IT'S ALL FADING

Steve and I slowly turned to our left, watching as a portal behind us began to open. It crackled orange, like sparks appearing out of mid air. Three figures emerged from the depths of the portal, surrounded by the light of it. The light didn't bother me, however, and the figures were perfectly clear.

T'Challa, Shuri and Okoye made their way towards us. T'Challa sent the two of us a nod, and I almost cried at the sight of them. This was all the confirmation I needed to know it worked, but they weren't the only ones coming to surprise us.

Through the portal came a figure that I knew all too well, wings and all. Sam soared above us in his Falcon suit, sending us a nod as he went by. I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face.

Countless others exited through portals much like the first. Most were familiar faces, then the Wakandans began filing out of the portals.

A glint of light caught the corner of my eye, and I whipped my head to the side to see what it was. I almost cried out at the sight of him. Bucky, among many other heroes, stood near the front with a gun in hand, and a determined look on his face.

I rushed towards him without thinking. Bucky turned to face me upon hearing me rushing towards him over the sounds of the heroes gathering in rows. He smiled widely at me, opening his arms wide for a hug as I crashed into him. "Bucky!" I cried, my voice cracking.

"I'm here." He muttered, pulling away to smile at me. A frown crossed his features as he noticed the blood on my forehead, and scrapes along my limbs. I waved it off to say that I was okay.

I let one tear slip from my eye, "I missed you so much."

Bucky smiled softly, "I would say that I missed you, but it felt like no time at all passed for me." He joked, causing me to let out the smallest laugh. "They explained what happened-briefly anyway." He looked around at the gathering army, his eyes falling onto a giant Scott who helped the heroes beneath the Avengers Compound get out. "Five years." He sighed, "I know it's not my fault, but I'm sorry I wasn't here."

I rolled my eyes, "you're damn right it wasn't your fault." He was amused now, "I'm just glad you're back." I took a quick glance around. I searched the area, trying to find the familiar scarlet glow I had grown to love. I frowned upon not being able to find it among the growing crowds.

Bucky put a hand on my shoulder, "we'll find her." He said, knowing me well enough to figure out that I was looking for Wanda. I sighed softly and nodded.

"Yeah." I said, "but I want to see her now." Bucky only chuckled in response. I could see the teasing look in his eyes when I glanced at him, so I looked away quickly before he could see the growing blush on my cheeks. I just get Bucky back and he's already the annoying brother I was used to before. I should've expected nothing less.

Steve called out above the chaos, his eyes staring down Thanos' army in a new light. We might actually have a shot at this now. "Avengers!" His voice was loud enough for most to hear, before just above a whisper, we could hear his voice in our comms. "Assemble."

Immediately, we began charging towards Thanos and his army. I let the adrenaline rush through me as I ignored my previous wounds, and mentally prepared to gain new ones. You have to expect the worst in a fight like this, always.

Aliens came in from left and right, their screeches deafening and their fighting style violent. I had my power on full, allowing it to burn them within seconds, turning them to ash.

I ran towards one of the aliens before jumping up and stepping on it, using it to give me leverage and bring me higher in the air. It growled in anger, but I payed it no mind.