chapter twenty eight

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: GIVE UP THE STONE

[ SCOTLAND ]

"Wanda?" I turned to look at my girlfriend with a tilted head. "Do you think that we'll have to hide forever?" Her hand was held tightly in mine. The stars twinkled from above, and I admired them for a moment before looking back to Wanda.

Our boots clicked against the glossy stone slabs as we walked down the streets, I felt her cold rings against my hand. "No." She shook her head, "no, I don't think so."

"It would be nice to... uh," I shrugged, "maybe we could be like this, without hiding. Someday."

"I'd like that." A smile grew on her face. "A lot." We stopped walking, I frowned as her smile dropped while she looked past me. Her eyes seemed to widen the slightest bit, I almost didn't notice it. Her hand tightened around mine.

"What?" I turned around, looking at the televisions behind the glass window ahead. 'Breaking news: New York attacked'. Was flashing on the bottom of the screen. I tilted my head at the strange creatures that were caught on tape, being broadcasted (most likely) around the world.

Wanda gasped softly, her nervousness was showing. "What are they?" Her voice wavered.

I felt a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, "I'm not sure..." I pursed my lips as my hands began to shake. "... but we need to be careful... they could-"

I stopped mid-sentence, screaming at the sudden pain in my side. I felt a hot and sticky liquid trickle down, it was surely staining my shirt. "Quinn!" Wanda gasped, covering her mouth with her hands.

I looked to the side to see an unearthly creature, it eyed me curiously as it searched for something.

I was tossed to the side as if I was nothing, causing me to roll across the ground and struggle to stop. I flopped around like a rag doll. I finally got the chance to look up, my eyes widened when I saw that Wanda was thrown through a window. "Hey!" I attempted to get up to aid her, my voice cracking, but one of the creatures stopped me.

"Where is the stone?" It growled, causing me to raise a brow.

I held a hand on my wound, trying to stay upright. "Listen to me, I don't know what you're talking about." I huffed. I could feel tears in my eyes, the pain was almost unbearable.

The creature's face contorted into confusion and anger, "we tracked down the energy sources on earth, the strongest one came from here!" He gripped his weapon tightly, "it came from you."

I felt the blood gushing out of my wound, "fuck off." I sneered.

Before either of us could get another word in, two red bursts of energy knocked the creatures down. I looked over to Wanda as she lifted me off the ground, quickly following behind. And for a few moments, I felt nothing but air.

Wanda managed to stick the landing, hovering me above the ground before I could hit it. She dragged me towards her, as I quickly got on my knees before attempting to stand. Wanda helped me do so, the two of us quickly getting out of sight. "Hey, come on." She mumbled, trying to keep me from getting dizzy as blood continued to flow.