chapter sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE FALLEN

I looked around the broken, floating city and sighed softly. The job was almost done, and we didn't do too bad either. Doubt seeped into my mind-worry, maybe. It was like a voice in my head, telling me to run. But there was nowhere to go.

Steve was talking to Thor, and Clint was saving what seemed to be the last person who wasn't on a boat-a little boy, probably just under ten years old. We did it.

Then, there it was. A breeze against my cheek, dread in the pit of my stomach. My breath hitched as I looked up to see a jet, bullets fired recklessly towards the Avengers. I was already on a boat, thankfully left untouched by the gunfire. I ran out to check on the others, anyway.

I made it to Steve and Thor as the regained their balance. Their eyes were wide in shock, looking around to see the damage left behind by Ultron. "Hey, are you guys okay?" I asked, slightly out of breath. I could see no bullet wounds, but worry got the best of me-I had to ask anyway.

"Yeah, we're fine." Steve coughed out as dust was filling his lungs. I sighed in relief as I looked around.

I could see Clint in the distance, a determined look on his face as the jet made its way over to him. He held the little boy tightly in his arms, "Clint!" I yelled as I tried to run over to him, to do anything, but Steve held me back. It's not like I was fast enough to beat a jet, anyway.

Clint turned around, he was ready for the bullets to sink into his skin. But, in the blink of an eye, something else happened. When the dust cleared, I gasped in shock at the horrible sight.

Pietro stood there, barely standing up straight, as bullet holes covered his body. Clint slowly looked up in shock to still be alive-a broken look was evident on his face as he looked over to Pietro; the man who just saved his life.

Pietro slowly looked back up at Clint, stumbling slightly. His hands shook, and his bottom lip quivered. He mumbled something before he fell to the ground, his body remaining still. I ran as fast as I could before I crouched beside Pietro's body, I put a hand over his cheek as a frown etched its way onto my face.

Clint put his hand on Pietro's neck, checking for a pulse. We already knew he was dead, but we didn't want to face the truth. Steve slowly picked Pietro up off the ground, as Clint picked up the little boy. I followed behind Steve as I looked at Pietro's lifeless body.

Steve laid Pietro on the floor of a boat. I sat down beside him as he stayed there, stiff and unmoving. His eyes were wide open, shining like glass. His skin was stained in his own blood.

I sighed and leaned my head back against a seat.

Clint stumbled over to Pietro and I, he was hurting just like the rest of us. The entire team was bruised, just as many innocent people were. A man walked over to Clint, preparing to help him out, but Clint shook his head, "no, no, I'm fine."

Clint sighed as he laid down across three different seats, "it's been a long day."

He looked at Pietro, who laid dead on the floor. He didn't say it, but he was grateful for what he did today, and he just wished that he could repay him for saving his life.

I gasped as I heard a deafening noise coming from outside the boat. I rushed to my feet, finding my place beside Steve as we watched Sokovia fall. "Wanda..." I whispered softly. She better be on one of those boats.

"Thor, on my mark." Tony ordered the god from down below us. "Now!"

Steve covered his eyes as the blast from the city nearly blinded him, but I was unaffected from the light. I took a few steps back just in case I were to fall, and Steve sighed before he made his way back into the boat, looking around to others who needed help.

I squinted-I could see a small dot getting closer and closer to our boat. When it got close enough, I could see that it was two people. Vision and Wanda.

"Wanda!" I gasped as Vision brought her to me. "Thank you." I smiled at Vision. He nodded at me before flying off.

Wanda had a broken look on her face, her eyes focused on something behind me. Pietro. She slowly started making her way to her dead brother, but ended up collapsing halfway there. I quickly caught her before she could hit the floor.

Wanda sobbed for what seemed like a lifetime as we leaned against some empty seats on the boat. I looked down at her tear stained face, I sighed at the sight.

Wanda Maximoff was made of porcelain. She was beautiful inside and out, but she was sensitive, too. She was easy to break. And now, her skin began to crack, just like a porcelain doll. The weight of her brothers death was too much for her fragile soul.

But I knew pain. I knew it very well. I know what it's like to lose a brother-to feel cracked and broken. But I also knew how to heal. How to put glue within the cracks of my broken, porcelain skin, and to watch it dry.

Thankfully, I have glue to spare. Wanda needs that glue; she needs that love. She needs to know that there's someone out there who cares for her. Thank gods she stumbled into my life, because I'll be that person.

-----
lizzie speaks

i am so sad rn don't even talk to me

edit: yeah, i could've changed his death. i know. stop yelling at me </3

 stop yelling at me </3