chapter twenty nine

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: MOONS AND STARS

"Now, I thought we had a deal." Natasha scolded as she closed the the Quinjet door. She sounded like a mother who had just caught her children doing something they weren't supposed to. "Stay close, check in, don't take any chances."

"I'm sorry." Wanda apologized, "we just wanted time."

I sighed, adjusting in my seat as I groaned softly in pain. The pain from my wound was fading, as I had already healed it up myself with my abilities, but it would no doubt be sore for a little while.

"Where to, Cap?" Sam asked from the cockpit of the jet.

Steve held his hands on his belt, glancing back at Sam for a moment as he chose his words carefully. "home." He finally spoke with a nod, and then we were off to the Avengers facility.

The ride had been fairly quiet so far. Wanda sent me worried glances every once in a while, holding my hand tightly so I had something to focus on.

I silently pulled her hand closer to me, smiling at the rings that she wore. One of them caught my eye, it was thick, and had moons and stars engraved into it. The silver was starting to wear down, and it was obviously cheap.

Wanda glanced up at me for a moment, before looking down at the ring. She smiled softly as she pulled it off her middle finger. She took my hand in hers, which had been cleaned of blood as soon as we got on the Quinjet, and began checking which finger it would fit on best. She didn't ask whether I wanted it or not, she was just giving it to me. A gift that I didn't feel I deserved.

The ring managed to fit perfectly on my pointer finger, on my left hand. I looked down at it for a moment before looking back up to Wanda. She smiled softly at me, causing me to smile back. I sighed before leaning my head on her shoulder, and she quickly pulled me into a side hug. Her fingers played with my hair for the rest of the ride.

Once at the Avengers facility, we walked up to Rhodey, who we hadn't seen in a long time. I gasped at the sight of Vision, who had a large gash on his torso as he sat on a nearby chair. Is that even possible?

"Mr. Secretary." Steve greeted Ross, who was in the form of a hologram looking back at us.

Ross slowly walked over to Steve, glaring at him. "You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

Natasha sent him a sly smile, "you could use some of that right now."

Ross sighed, "the world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?"

Steve looked at Ross with a blank face, "I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you too."

Ross slowly nodded, backing away from the tall man. he raised a brow at Rhodey, "arrest them."

Rhodey pursed his lips, nodding, "all over it." He quickly ended the call, the holograms fading into a mist as he did so. He looked over at us, "that's a court-martial." He sent a smile at Steve, "it's great to see you, Cap."

"You too, Rhodey." Steve smiled, shaking his hand as Natasha and him walked down the small steps to get closer to Rhodey.

"Hey." Rhodey smiled, pulling Natasha in for a hug. "Wow." He sighed softly, "you guys... really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple years."

Sam nodded, "yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." I turned to him with a soft smile, my left arm around his shoulder, my right around Wanda's as they helped me stand.