chapter thirty seven

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN: BRUCE'S NEW LOOK

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating here." Bruce sighed softly. The rest of us stared at him in disbelief. While I am very happy for him for figuring out how to balance out the Hulk and himself, this felt so... strange. "Try some of that." He pushed a plate towards Scott, made from the restaurant that we sat in. "Have some eggs."

Scott tilted his head with his mouth wide open, "I'm so confused."

Bruce laughed softly, "these are confusing times."

Scott shook his head as he waved his hand, "right, no, no. That's not what I meant."

Bruce only laughed once more, "nah, I get it. I'm kidding!" I raised a brow at him, "I know, it's crazy." He gestured to himself. "I'm wearing shirts now."

Scott pursed his lips as he nodded, "yeah. What? How? Why?"

Bruce shrugged as he ate his food, "five years ago, we got our asses beat. Except it was worse for me... 'cause I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost... and then, we all lost."

Natasha frowned, "no one blamed you, Bruce."

Bruce sighed, "I did." I frowned softly at the comment, listening as he continued speaking. "For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kinda disease. Something to get rid of. But then, I start looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together... and now, look at me." He smiled widely. "Best of both worlds."

Suddenly, the conversation was cut short when three children made their way over to the table. "Excuse me, Mr. Hulk?" A girl caught his attention. I raised a brow.

"Yes?" Bruce turned to them, his smile still wide.

"Can we- can we get a photo?" She held out her phone, my jaw dropped in disbelief. No way.

"100%, little person." Bruce took the phone with a nod. "Come on, step on up." He held the phone out to Scott, "do you mind?"

Scott shrugged as he took the phone, "oh, yeah, yeah."

"Thanks." Bruce took off his glasses, before looking to the camera. "Say 'green'." All the children looked to the camera with smiles as they all said, "green." Bruce glanced up at Scott, "did you get that?"

Scott looked at the photo with a smile as he sat back down in his seat, "that's a good one." He held the phone out to the kids, "do you wanna grab one with me? I'm Ant-Man." The kids looked at each other with confusion, and Scott shrugged, "they're Hulk fans. They don't know Ant-Man. Nobody does."

"No, he wants you to take a picture with him."

"I don't want a picture."

"But, come on-"

"I don't want a picture with them."

"He's gonna feel bad."

"Sorry."

"They'd be happy to do it. They said they'll do it."

"Take the goddamn phone." Scott sighed.

The kids took the phone, smiling at Bruce. "Thank you Mr. Hulk. Thank you."

Bruce smiled, "no, it was great, kids. Thank you very much." He held up his arm, "Hulk out!" Then he dabbed. "Dab!"

"Bruce." Steve attempted to catch his attention.

"Listen to your mom." Bruce called out to the kids. "She knows better."

"Bruce." Steve tried once more, "about what we were saying."

Bruce nodded slowly as he sighed, "right." He leaned back in his chair. "The whole time travel do-over?" He grimaced, "eh, guys, it's outside of my area of expertise."

Natasha raised a brow, "well, you pulled this off." She referred to his new look. "I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible, too."

-----
lizzie speaks...

is this chapter short? yes. is it because i'm too lazy to write more? also yes.