chapter four

CHAPTER FOUR: WORTHY

Nearing the end of the party, half of the Avengers were drunk. The guests had left by now, and we were all sprawled across the couches in the centre of the room. "It's a trick!" Clint complained loudly as he pointed a drumstick-that he somehow found-at Thor's hammer. He was in utter disbelief that only Thor, as well as those who were worthy, could lift the hammer.

"Oh, no." The god chuckled, "it's much more than that." He was sitting next to me, Steve on my other side-I was between the two buff men. They were my closest friends out of anyone in the room, easy. Steve and I had known each other for years, and while I didn't get along with many Greek (or even Roman gods-I had a knack for getting on their bad side), the Norse gods seemed to treat me a little closer to an equal. They understood that I wasn't just some mortal. I was half god, and that meant something.

"Uh, 'whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power'." Clint mocked in a deep voice, "whatever man, it's a trick!" He argued back causing me to stifle a laugh.

"Well, please, be my guest." Thor gestured to the hammer with an amused look on his face.

"Oh, my gods." I laughed.

"Come on." Tony spoke up.

"Really?" Clint raised a brow, looking around the room.

"Yeah!" Thor smiled enthusiastically.

Clint then stood up and slowly walked towards the hammer. "Oh, this is gonna be beautiful." Rhodey chuckled softly.

"Clint, you've had a tough week. We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up." Tony joked, causing everyone to laugh.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint raised a brow as he grabbed the hammer. He seemed confident. When he attempted to lift it, nothing happened. "I still don't know how you do it." He laughed, finally admitting defeat.

"Smell the silent judgement?" Tony teased.

"Please, Stark, by all means." Clint offered, waving a hand towards the hammer.

Then, Tony got up in a very dramatic fashion. Classic Tony. "Oh, here we go." Natasha muttered, a beer in hand.

"Okay."

"Uh-oh."

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge." Tony said cockily as he walked over to the table. "It's physics."

"Physics!" Bruce repeated with a laugh.

Tony grabbed Thor's hammer, before looking towards him. "Right, so, if I lift it, I... I then rule asgard?" He asked. Him ruling Asgard? I thought, it was laughable.

"Yes, of course." Thor laughed. I leaned back with a smile on my face.

"I will be re-instituting Prima Nocta." He said, causing me to frown, before he tried to lift the hammer. Nothing happened. That was expected. "I'll be right back." Tony left the room, returning a few minutes later with an armoured hand. He tried lifting the hammer but still, nothing happened.