chapter forty six

CHAPTER FORTY SIX: UNASKED QUESTIONS

THIRD PERSON POV.

Wanda stared out at the lake ahead of her, an empty feeling in her chest. Tony and Natasha's funerals have already gone by in the past month since bringing everyone back, leaving one more.

She still couldn't believe what happened. How could she? The girl she loved was gone, leaving her with no one. She was completely alone. No Mama and Papa. No Pietro. No Vision. No Quinn.

Slowly, the woman reached into her pocket, pulling out a small velvet, black box. She stared at it for a moment, her eyes welling up with tears. Slowly, she opened the box. The diamond ring inside shone in the light of the setting sun.

I never got to ask her.

That was the only thought on Wanda's mind. She wanted to wait until the perfect moment, but things happened too fast. She was hoping that she could hold onto it until after they got out of hiding, and maybe, she could ask Quinn to marry her then. She deserved better than what she got, but Wanda wanted to give her the world.

It was frustrating to know that the world didn't want Quinn. It was clear that it didn't want her the day that she died. An innocent soul was taken that day, no one was more perfect than her-and perfect wasn't a word that Wanda used lightly.

She truly believed that Quinn was perfect, though. How could someone so perfect end up with someone so broken? Wanda didn't know, and she wasn't sure if she ever wanted to. She wanted to remain in bliss as she thought back on her memories with Quinn, pushing back the grief to the depths of her mind.

She heard soft footsteps behind her, but remained still as someone stopped by her right. A sigh was heard, shaky but quiet. "She loved you so much." It was Steve. Wanda's lips pulled downwards, but she remained silent. "So much." He repeated.

Wanda finally spoke, "I loved her, too." A tear fell from her eye. She sniffled, "I-" her hands began to shake, the diamond ring shimmering. "I was going to ask-"

Steve nodded, putting a hand on her shoulder. He didn't speak, he only pulled her in for a hug, which she returned without hesitation. Sobs racked through her as she slowly closed the box, hiding the ring from the sun.

I was going to ask her to marry me, but now it's too late.

[ FIVE MONTHS LATER ]

Wanda stood at Quinn's grave, her hands in her pockets. Fall would be coming soon, so the grass around was beginning to die, turning dull. Her eyes traced over the headstone countless times, she repeated the words engraved in it in her head like her life depended on it.

Her fingers traced over the box in her pocket, the ring being hidden away from the world. It was usually left on her dresser, in the new apartment that Pepper helped her buy, but today it was with her. It wasn't meant for her.

Wanda inhaled deeply, before pulling the box from her coat pocket. She stared at the velvet with dull eyes before looking down at Quinn's grave. Slowly, she knelt down, keeping a distance as to not walk directly over her girlfriend's grave.

She waved a hand out, letting scarlet energy circle her fingertips. It was the first time she had used her powers in months. She was growing stronger, too. She wasn't exactly sure how she could do the things that she could, but she didn't care right now.

She opened the ring box before lifting up the ring with her scarlet red powers. She let it hover above Quinn's grave before pushing it towards the headstone. She placed it softly on the top of it before closing her eyes.

Once she opened them again, she saw what she had done. She saw the vines which had grown up the sides of the headstone, before wrapping around the ring, holding it in place. The stone itself had grown over the base of the ring, leaving only the diamond exposed.

Wanda wasn't sure how long this would last. Could she make it last forever? It didn't matter. She felt peace in finally giving Quinn her ring.

She wasn't sure if she would ever love again. There was a hole in her heart, a shattered fragment of herself was taken with Quinn as she left the world. She was absolutely heartbroken by the loss of her love-her love who was meant to be her wife.

Wanda was completely unaware of the person standing behind her, with tear stains evident on their face.

Quinn held her arms close to herself as she slowly knelt next to Wanda, wanting nothing more than to tell her she was right there. Her lips pulled into the deepest frown she could muster, and in a breathy voice she spoke, "I would've said yes."

-----
lizzie speaks...

i'm so evil

anyway... i cried writing this. quinn is my favourite oc, why tf did i do this? 😭

also, it's completely up to u if u wanna imagine the events of wandavision happening. i hinted at wanda using her powers to change reality, but whether she uses that any further is ur choice. anddd steve waited until after quinn's funeral to return the stones, so if u wanna imagine him staying with peggy for a while or not, that's ur choice too. (personally i don't want to, but he did give sam the shield anyway! he retired ig so yk...)

thank u for reading this far, and ty for ur patience for when this book was on hold... bc i literally started this series in april 2021 and it's not NOVEMBER 2022??? sorry lol... THANK U ALL FOR READING <3