chapter forty four

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR: "CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

When the first missile hit, we were all sent into different directions. I hit my head against a piece of debris as I fell, causing me to groan in pain. The destruction didn't stop there, however, as countless other missiles were fired before it finally stopped.

The Avengers Compound was in ruins. It was completely unrecognizable. I barely heard the cries of the others in my ear piece, but some things came through. Many of the heroes were stuck underneath all the rubble, underground. Fortunately for me, I was blasted through a back window, being left laying away from the mess of a building as I regained balance and attempted to ignore the stinging pain in my head.

My legs wobbled as I stood, and my vision was hazy. With a long look around at the destruction before me, and a quick glance back, I realized where I was. I began to make my way to the front of the building where I had originally seen the ship before the missiles hit. I could only hope that I wasn't the only one left standing.

I nearly fell about five times, and I actually fell once. I landed hard on my knees, scraping them against the rubble. But, I stood back up again and continued walking. My pain was probably nothing when compared to those who got trapped under the building itself. I was really lucky to be walking around right now.

I glanced around as I finished my walk around the right side of the ruined Compound, my eyes landing on Steve, Tony and Thor. I made my way to them as fast as I could.

Steve's eyes found mine after noticing the sounds of ragged breaths and heavy footsteps behind him. He made his way towards me, holding his arms on my shoulders as he checked for injuries. He grimaced at the bleeding cut on my forehead, and my scraped knees. I had a small gash on my thigh, which wasn't all too bad, and didn't hurt that much.

His eyes bored into mine once again, "can you fight?" His voice was slightly muffled, but I could understand well enough.

I shrugged, a sigh escaping my lips. "I don't think I have a choice."

Steve pursed his lips before leading me forwards, towards the other two. I made it clear that there was no room for discussion on whether I was fighting or not. I wasn't going to run off and save myself. I've fought Thanos once, and I could do it again.

Steve and I stopped in line with Thor and Tony, their eyes remained focused on Thanos. The Mad Titan himself sat calmly on pieces of rubble, his double bladed sword stuck in the ground with his helmet balanced on top. I furrowed my brows at him, "what's he been doing?" I asked.

"Absolutely nothing." Thor replied simply, his eyes squinted. No one dared look away in case of missing an attack, or anything that the Titan could be planning.

"Where are the stones?" Steve asked, his hands clenched tightly at his sides.

"Somewhere under all this." Tony sighed, frustrated. "All I know is he doesn't have them."

"So we keep it that way." Steve decided, his eyes flickering around the area, searching for any possible enemies. He found none. Only the Titan was visible, looking off into the distance as if it was the most beautiful landscape he had ever seen.

Thor looked beyond furious as he eyed Thanos, his words like venom whenever he spoke, "you know it's a trap, right?"

"Yeah." Tony nodded, "And I don't much care."

I hummed, "I'll take any chance I can get to kill him where he stands." I narrowed my eyes, "I don't care how many bruises I get along the way."

Thor seemed pleased with our answers, "Good." He muttered, his voice low in anger, "just as long as we're all in agreement." The sound of thunder cracking in the sky reached our eardrums. I took one glance over to him to see his axe landing in one hand, and his hammer in the other. A bolt of lightning engulfed him before vanishing, revealing his Asgardian armour which shone in the dim light. "Let's kill him properly this time."