chapter twenty six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: THE FIGHT

I felt the heat rise to my cheeks once more as Wanda and I exited the van. Wanda walked out with a newfound confidence, while I let myself feel flustered as my heart continued to race.

I quickly returned to reality as everyone started to walk away, Wanda quickly took my hand. "Are you all right?" Her smile was faint.

"Uh," I stuttered, "yeah. Yeah, I'm all right."

"Quinn," Sam turned to me, Bucky at his side. "You're with us."

I nodded, "okay." I turned to Wanda once more, "see you soon, yeah?" I started to walk away, "and stay safe."

She nodded, "you too."

I caught up with Sam and Bucky as we jogged through the airport. Sam glanced at me once, then twice. He even looked over a third time. "What's up with you?"

I looked away as I continued to jog at a steady pace, "mind your business."

A soft chuckle escaped his lips, Bucky joining in on the laughter. Despite the situation we were in, they continued laughing, making sure to keep me out of the loop. Fuck, they already know.

The three of us stopped, noticing the tension on the runway. Steve stood with his hands bound, members of the other team surrounding him. I looked over at Sam as he used Redwing to find the jet, turning back to watch Steve with uncertainty.

"We found it." Sam spoke up, I noticed the red glow on his goggles. "The Quinjet's in hanger five, north runway."

Steve took that as his signal, raising his arms so that Clint could shoot an arrow and break whatever was holding his hands together. Sam, Bucky and I immediately started running. The plan was going smoothly, so far.

I gasped softly as I noticed someone in a red and blue suit climbing on the windows. They seemed to be sticking onto it like a bug, which made me feel slightly uneasy. "What the hell is that?" Bucky raised a brow.

"Everyone's got a gimmick now." Sam muttered in annoyance.

Seconds later, the climbing man broke through the window, knocking Sam to the ground. I groaned as he pushed me back to the floor, my arms scraped against the glass as I did so.

I slowly got up, examining the glass in my arm. Blood trickled down, but it was nothing I couldn't handle.

I looked up, taking note of the fact that Sam pulled the boy into the air, causing him to scream out random sentences before pushing himself off of Sam, swinging across the ceiling.

Bucky thought quickly, tossing a large sign at him. It barely affected the boy, as he ducked before it could hit him. "Hey, buddy, I think you lost this!" He threw it back, causing glass to shatter and hit the floor.

I stood up, rushing over to Sam who came crashing into the floor. My eyes widened as I was pushed back and stuck to a pillar, my arms stuck in place.

"Hey!" I shouted at the boy, causing him to turn to me as I scowled. "Get me out of this shit!"

"Sorry, but I can't do that." He shrugged, pinning Sam to a railing. "Those wings carbon fibre?"

"Is this stuff coming out of you?" Sam shot back, looking to the webbing that surrounded his hands.

"That would explain the rigidity-flexibility ratio, which, I gotta say, that's awesome, man." The boy tilted his head, ignoring Sam's comment.