Dead in the water

(Okay, so for some reason, this chapter has been acting up, so I've republished this chapter.)

——————————-

Alison ate her pancakes that had a ton of syrup on them, she looked up as dean circled something on a newspaper, which normally meant he found something.

"Can I get you anything else?" A waitress came up to the table, and leaned against it. Dean smiled at her.

"Just the check, please. And possibly some more napkins." Sam said as he saw the maple syrup mess on Alisons face, she had somehow managed to get it on her nose.

"Okay." The lady said then walked away, swaying her hips.

Dean let his head drop, then he looked over at his brother.

"You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." Dean said to him, he pointed at the waitress walking back into the kitchen. "That's fun."

Sam just stared at him, dean got the message.

"Here, take a look at this. I think I got one." Dean laid the newspaper in front of Sam. "Last week, Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water— nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third lake manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found, either." Dean explained. "They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah, it's weird. They buried an empty coffin for closure or whatever."

Dean licked his thumb and reached over the table to Alison, and started wiping the maple syrup mess off her face.

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam said.

Dean looked at Sam, then put his hand on his thigh and his elbow on the table.

"Something you want to say to me?" He questioned his brother.

Alison looked up at them.

"The trail for dad— it's getting colder every day."

"Exactly. What are we supposed to do?" Dean asked.

"I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam said.

"You know what, I'm sick of this attitude." Dean said, Alison shrunk into her seat. "You don't think I want to find dad as much as you do?"

"Yeah, I know you do—"

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there, okay?"

Alison knew what tone dean was speaking in, and that was his dad tone. She didn't like it. All she could think about was how she hoped Sam wouldn't have to go in the corner, or sit in timeout.

Sam rolled his eyes at dean.

The waitress from before walked past catching deans attention.

"All right, lake manitoc." Sam said.

"Hey."

"Huh?"

"How far?"

~~~

Dean and Sam knocked on the front door of the house, Alison had fallen asleep in her car seat. A moment later, the door opened.

"Will Carlton?" Dean asked.