Salvation part 1

"So, this is it. This is everything I know." John said. "Our whole lives we've been searching for this demon, right? Not a trace, just nothing, until about a year ago. For the first time, I picked up a trail."

"That's when you took off." Dean stated as he bounced Alison in his arms.

"Yeah." John nodded. "That's right. The demon must've come out of hiding or hibernation."

"All right, so, what's this trail you found?" Dean asked.

"It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California. Houses burn down to the ground. It's going after families, just like it went after us." John explained.

"Families with infants?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, the night of the kids 6-month birthday." John nodded.

"I was 6 months old that night?" Sam questioned.

"Exactly six months." John said.

"So, basically, this demon is going after these kids for some reason, same way it came for me?" Sam asked. "So moms death, Jessica— it's all 'cause of me?"

"Nobody said that." Alison stated as she fiddled with Deans amulet.

"She's right, we don't know that." Dean stated.

"I'd say we're pretty damn sure, Dean!" Sam pushed himself off the wall.

"For the last time, what happened to them is not your fault." Dean turned to looked at his little brother.

"You're right, Dean! It's not my fault, but it's my problem!"

"No, it's not your problem. It's our problem!"

"Okay, that's enough." John spoke as he stood up.

Alison looked up at her grandfather and held her arms out to him. John gladly took her as Dean passed her to him.

"So, why is it doing it? What does it want?" Sam questioned.

"I wish I had more answers. I do. I've always been one step behind it." John stated. "Look, I've never gotten there in time to save..." John cut himself short.

Alison looked from John to Sam.

"Alright, so, how do we find it before it hits again?" Dean asked.

"There are signs." John said. "Look, it took me a while to see the pattern, but in the days before these fires, signs crop up in an area— cattle deaths, temperature fluctuations, electrical storms. And then I went back and checked, and..."

"These things happened in Lawrence." Dean said as his father didn't finish.

"The week before your mother died." John nodded.

Alison looked from John to Dean, then to Sam.

"And in Palo Alto...before Jessica." John looked to his youngest. "And these signs— they're starting again."

"Where?" Sam questioned.

"Salvation, Iowa."

~~~

Alison sat in the backseat of the impala with her teddy bear in her lap.

She looked up as they were pulling over. Dean stopped the impala and got out just as John did his truck.

"Damn it." John slammed his door.

"What is it?" Dean asked.

"Son of a bitch." John hit the side of his truck.