14 : Broken

~

♫ Regulus ♪

~

Have you ever experience something so...terrifying?

This is the first for Kanghyun...well, not really, since the moment his mother fell sick was also scary.

He stared blankly at the black screen of the television. Hugging his legs close to his chest and chin prompt on his knee.

Kanghyun dashes in the hospital along with Yonghoon, who had driven Kanghyun immediately after hearing the news. He frantically looked around, to find his father waiting outside the surgery room. He hugged his father, the other telling his child to not be scared.

The news was that...his mother's condition suddenly deteriorated.

Hours later, the doctor told the family what had happened and how the surgery went. Luckily, it went smoothly and his mother will be alright.

Kanghyun had told Yonghoon to head back first since he wanted to stay with his father for the time being. Yonghoon nodded at his request and headed home first. It was Friday after all and the festival must be over by now.

The days at the hospital were tiring both physically and mentally. But mostly emotionally.

The sound of the heart monitor beeping filled the silent room. His mother sleeping soundly on the hospital bed with her husband sitting on the chair beside it.

Kanghyun wished he could stay by his mother's side the whole time, but he couldn't because of classes the next day. He had to go home that Sunday night.

His father suggested him to take days off from his studies. Ask for an excuse letter from the University. But Kanghyun didn't want to. It feels like...it's his responsibility. He can't just leave it.

And so, he went home. And immediately just...sat on the living room sofa in silence.

Yonghoon hadn't noticed his arrival due to being in his room the whole day and finishing his work. Once he went down to get some food, he sees his housemate, staring into nothingness.

"Kanghyun...?" A soft voice calls out to him, but he didn't react to it. Too many things in his mind, for him to care about anything else.

Kanghyun felt the seat beside him shifts down, but again, he didn't look. A gentle hand on his back, Yonghoon calls out again, "...Hyungu?"

He finally gave the older a small response by moving his head towards his way. But eyes still lock at nothing.

"How are you doing?" The older asks worryingly.

How am I doing?

"I'm...", he softly sighs out. He sounded tired to Yonghoon.

"I...don't...know...", he says, hiding his face within his arms. Yonghoon gently soothes his hand on the boy's back.

"She'll be alright," Yonghoon says with a little smile.