Part 1

I was a couple of days into my three-year university experience. Today I have been timetabled a welcome talk to my course. My name is Ingrid and I have moved to Liverpool to study Geography, I am currently living with three other girls in my university accommodation, Gerry and Naomi who study psychology and Fern who also studies geography.

It was around 9:30am as Fern and I left our university flat together in order to get to the social science welcome talk for 10am. We enter the crowded hall and hunt for two chairs for us to sit in for the meeting. As we push our way through hundreds of groups of people chatting, we finally find two chairs as the end of the row free. We both sighed as we sat down.

'I didn't realise that there would be so many subjects included in the school of social sciences' Fern exhaled as we both looked around both feeling overwhelmed, we had both only been here a few days and getting used to being in rooms filled with hundreds of people is something new to both of us.

When looking around the room I was trying to spot anyone I may know already. A few people I went to high school with where also doing the same course as me in university on top of that there has already been a few fresher events where I have been able to mingle with other first year students who I could potentially see in this crowded room. To my surprise as I was scanning the room, I notice a familiar face walk through.

'Ed!' I exclaimed through the crowds, the six-foot boy noticed and smiled as he walked over, following him was a girl with light brown wavy hair. As Ed approached all I could think of was that he had already picked the next victim to become his girlfriend. I knew Ed from school at one point we were part of the same friendship group, we had good banter and I would help him with any girl issues he was having and even went on double dates with him and my ex-boyfriend Tim.

'Ingrid! Hi, how are you settling in?' Ed sounded interested. We chatted for a bit before he introduced me to the brown haired girl that had followed him like a lost sheep.

'This is - Ed stated.

'I'm Lizzie, I live in the same flat as Ed.' A cute American accent came from the young girl as she smiled at me. I gave a smile back and introduced myself and then introduced Fern to both Ed and Lizzie. The two of them found two vacant seats right behind me as the welcome talk was just about to start. Just before the head of the university of Liverpool started to talk, I turned around to Ed and summon for him to listen to a whisper.

'Already found your new victim then? American too, that's a new type!' I giggled. He rolled his eyes at me as he blushed. We both come from a small rural village so don't get to meet people from different countries.

'I've already tried to chat her up, its never going to work' He chuckled before sitting back in his chair as I smiled at Lizzie and then turned back to listen to the man on the stage introducing all of the different courses. Me and fern spent this time making little comments to each other trying to make it more entertaining. Ed then joined in every so often leaning forward to say a comment, as I giggled at his comment, I would keep catching eye contact with Lizzie who was taking the talk a lot more serious than the other three of us.

The meeting drew to an end, everyone started to rustle around to exit the hall. As this was happening the four of us remained seated knowing that it was going to take ages for all these people to leave. I stretch my arms up in the air and yawn as I turn around to Ed and Lizzie, the meeting had gone on for two hours and my body felt stiff.

'What have you two got planned for this evening?' Ed questioned Fern and I, trying to start conversation as we continued to wait to leave the hall.

'We've been out every night this week already! I think it might be a flat movie night' Fern giggles as she watched me yawn again. Lizzie makes eye contact again and giggled along with Fern.

'Lightweights!' Ed teased nudging Lizzie which made her laugh even more.

'Well, our flat is having a little party before we go out to the clubs if you want to join for a little bit' Lizzie stated as she looked straight into my eyes. It gave me a funny sensation in my tummy as I smiled back accepting the invitation. After I broke out of the trace of staring into the American's green eyes, I could see that Ed and Fern had noticed.

The rush of people leaving the hall had suddenly started to calm down we decided now was a better time to leave. Ed and Fern walked in front casually chatting and getting to know each other and I did the same with Lizzie. We all continued to walk towards the accommodation blocks, as we reached the other two we formed a huddle of the four of us and chatted a bit longer before arranging a time to go to their flat for the party that evening.

'Hey Ingrid, wait up!' Lizzie called just as I was about to walk to my block of flats with Fern. I looked towards Fern who gave a goofy smile as she continued to walk towards our block of flats when I turned back to Lizzie who left Ed and walked towards my direction.

'My number' She smiled as she handed me a scrunched-up piece of paper.

'Can't wait to see you later' She smirked as she turned away. I was still stood still holding the piece of paper in some state of shock.