Plant Dad

Jean's POV:

"Okay okay, I get it, I'm coming home, Em..." I spoke to the woman on the other end of the phone.  I had just gotten off of work, my fiance calling me immediately, telling me I'm late.  "I love you, I'll see you in a few minutes."  

Before I could say anything else, the other end hung up.  This has been happening too much lately.

Emily is my fiance.  We have been engaged for just over five months and we share a life together in a small apartment right on the outside of downtown.  

According to her, I have been deemed untrustworthy because my boss has been keeping me working overtime.  No matter how much I try and explain it to her that it's my job, she won't listen.  She even just recently installed a location tracker on my phone.  

For the past few weeks, I have been stopping and getting small gifts for her on the way home, attempting to prove my love for her.  

Ever since our engagement, she has been like this.  The moment we told our families the news, she became anal about the smallest things.  The tiniest things I do wrong, she has something to say about it.  

But who am I to tell her that she's acting crazy?  I love the woman too damn much.  

I threw the keys into the ignition of my car, pulling out of the parking garage by scanning my ID badge just above the keypad.  

She's probably just overwhelmed about the wedding planning we have to do... that we haven't even started.  

Should a newly engaged couple be this bitter?

I sighed to myself, running a hand through my hair while I kept one hand on the wheel, driving through downtown.  

The car in front of me slammed on their brakes, causing me to hit mine too, "Shit!"  

Luckily, I stopped in time, but I knew what this meant.  Traffic.  

"Come on, she's already pissed at me!"  I muttered to myself, dead stopped on the on-ramp to the highway.  Rush hour will always be the worst - especially if there's an accident.  

The slow moving cars around me just pissed me off, knowing the state of my fiance when I get home isn't going to be pleasant.  

I looked in the rear-view mirror, the traffic spreading across miles behind me as we slowly inched forward.  

"Come on!"  I hit my hand on the wheel, knowing at this point it has to be an accident.  

Now I have to stop and get her something.  

From the various amounts of jewelry and chocolates I've gotten her, I have no idea what to get her now.  I knew if I get her anything like I've gotten her before, she's just going to use it against me and call me lazy.  

I took in a deep breath, mentally celebrating when the traffic began to move faster.  Within ten minutes, I passed a car accident that didn't seem too bad.  It seemed to just be stupidity - someone probably didn't check their mirrors when merging.

Nonetheless, I hope everyone is okay.  

My phone began to ring, knowing exactly who it is.  

I swiped my thumb left on the phone screen, bringing it up to my ear, "Hey, Em."

"Where are you?  It's been 40 minutes..."

"There was an accident right after the on-ramp of the highway.  I just got on, we're still moving a little slow from the congestion."  

It took her a second to reply, hoping she wasn't upset at something I couldn't control.  "You left late from work and now you're still not home.  What is going on, Jean?"