Healing

Jean's POV:

When Marco didn't respond for a few seconds, I knew it was way too early to ask that.  

I opened my mouth to say something, but he spoke up, surprising me.  "We just got back together, I don't think you should be asking that question, Jean."

I closed my mouth, nodding slowly as I chewed on the inside of my lip, "You're probably right."  

"I just don't want to make any life changing decisions when the wounds are still opened and bleeding.  I don't know if I can trust that Emily won't come back and take you away again.  I can't trust that your father won't hate my guts for his son dating a man.  I can't trust that things won't go as planned."  

I clenched my jaw, now looking away from him as my heart sank.  "I get it, you don't have to go on..."  

"Jean, don't be like that," he leaned into me, placing a kiss on my cheek.  "You know how I feel about you, I just had my precautions before we started dating and they came true.  I can't let my guard down again."  

"I know," I sighed, "I would feel the same way.  I'm really sorry, Marco."  

"I know you are," he sounded reassuring, "I'm really glad we had this talk and are open with each other."  

"Me too," I smiled softly at the man sitting next to me, taking in all of his features that I missed so much.  "Thank you."  

"You know," he directed the conversation back, "my lease ends in a year.  What about yours?"  

"Eight months.  I didn't want to sign anything long since I didn't know how long I was staying," I replied, not mentioning that I had asked for an earlier contract release due to Emily.  

I still have to revoke that.  They haven't approved or denied, it's still pending.

"Maybe in eight months we'll see how things are going?  I wouldn't mind seeing you every day," he smiled as he placed a finger on my chest, trailing it across.  

I rolled my eyes playfully at him, "I love you, Marco."  I leaned over and cupped his cheeks, pulling him into another kiss.  

"I love you, Jean," he smiled up at me when we parted.  "And I'm going to continue saying it since I never did before.  I love you."  

~

A few days had now passed, Marco was expected to spend the night tonight and stay late tomorrow before we both go back to work on Tuesday.  

It's now Sunday and yesterday honestly killed me.  It was a shit ton of work and Niccolo wanted to spend the day with Sasha, so he left me as head chef... my first ever night on doing so and he left me on a rush.  It was terrifying.

Gladly, it's now over and Marco was on his way to my place again.  We wanted to spend the day with each other and I had plans to take him to dinner tonight.  I had planned on taking him window shopping too, but I want to see how he feels after dinner.  After all, it is growing colder as the seasons change.  The autumn weather is finally starting to change to winter.

"Hey," Marco called into my apartment as he walked in, taking me from my thoughts.  

"Hey," I got up from the couch and walked over to where he stood.  I greeted him with a quick peck on the lips.  "How was your drive?"  

"Crazy," he laughed as he took off his jacket, setting his bag down at his feet.  "I don't know how you live in the city."  

"I don't know either," I laughed as I picked his bag off the ground, taking it to my room and setting it on the bed before I joined him again.