Together

Marco's POV:

After showering and getting dressed into casual clothes for the day, I met Jean in the living room.  He had changed as well, probably not wanting to spend the day in dress-clothes.  

"Hey," I spoke, getting his attention from his phone.

"Hey," he replied, setting his phone down on his lap, "oh, you look good."  

I looked down at my outfit, which wasn't anything special.  "It's just jeans and a sweater, what do you mean?"  

"I said you look good, not talking about the outfit," he smiled and stood up, walking over to me.

"Thanks," I smiled shyly down at my socks, you can tell he's affectionate.  

"Are you ready?"  He asked as I noticed the two bags he had brought are by the door.  

My jaw tensed, "Yeah, I'm still sad that you're not staying here."  

"Hey," he looked at me with reassurance, "just because I'm not staying here doesn't mean we aren't going to see each other.  I just don't want all my things crowding your apartment."  

I nodded, feeling at ease about it, "Good."  

"My car?"  Jean asked, meeting me at the front door before we exited together.  His work bag was on his shoulder, hanging like a messenger bag while the suitcase was in the hand on the opposite side.  

"Sure," I still grabbed my keys on the way out so I could lock the door.  "Bye, Kay!"  I called out, but there was no response, knowing she's probably sleeping.  None of my plants are toxic to cats, so there shouldn't be anything in the apartment that would hurt her.  

I followed Jean out to his car, but you could tell he's becoming tense.  "The things I need to grab are my clothes and my moms recipe book," he started, "there's nothing really else that I need.  The other things that hold sentimental value are at my dads house."

"What about the things you've bought?"

"Then I would be taking the whole apartment," he unlocked his car, allowing me to get in the passengers seat while he put his things in the trunk, soon meeting me in the drivers seat.  "That apartment was mine, everything in it, is technically mine."

"Why not kick her out?"  I ask, looking over at him as he started to drive.

"New start.  Too many memories are there," I saw his jaw clench.  "And, if I move, she won't know where I am so he has no incentive to try and find me."  

"You're really done, aren't you?"  

"Marco," he glanced over at me for a second before returning his eyes to the road, "wasn't that evident enough this morning?"  

I nodded, going into thought while I ignored his question.  

Yeah, but an act like that doesn't mean anything if you were in a relationship for six years... anything can happen.  It took me almost a year to get over Bertholdt, but yet Jean has made a move on me just a few days after they split.  Am I comfort?  No, at least I don't think.  This doesn't feel like he's using me as a bridge.  

I trust you, Jean, but I don't trust Emily. 

"Are you okay?"  He asked and put the car in park.  I didn't even notice we were in front of his apartment building.

"Yeah," I cleared my throat, pausing for a second.  "Actually, no, I have a question."  

"What is it?"  He furrowed his eyebrows and turned his body as much as he could so he could face me and give his attention, "is everything okay?"