Bubbly

Jean's POV:

"Look what I got in the mail," I waved a small letter in front of my face as I walked into Marco's small apartment.

Wow, I missed this place.

"What?"  He walked out of the bathroom and into the main area where I had just entered.  He had a toothbrush sticking out of his mouth with some foam at the corners.  

I snickered, walking over to him.  As a welcome, I kissed the side of his cheek while he continued brushing.  I took out the small invitation from the already opened envelope, showing it to him.  He signaled me to follow as I explained what it was.

I followed him into the bathroom where he continued to brush his teeth, "My sister sent an invitation to her wedding."  

"Lemme see," he wiped his mouth with the small hand towel before grabbing the invitation from my hand.  I smiled as I watched his eyes move across the laminated paper.  "It's in three months, Jean."  

"Guess what else, what isn't on the invite?"  I smiled again.  I moved out of the way and followed him back into the main area, the invitation still in his hand.  

"What?"  He sat down on the couch and continued to examine it.

I sat down next to him, "She's pregnant and I'm going to be an uncle."  The topic of pregnancy didn't seem to sting either one of us, thankfully.  I just wanted to move on from what happened.  Seemingly, he did too.

"That's awesome!  How far along is she?"  Marco handed me the invite again.  

I took it and placed it on my lap.  "She called me yesterday and told me the news.  She says five months, so she'll be pretty far along for the wedding."  

"It says you can bring a plus one too," he smiled at me as he nudged my shoulder.  "I better be your plus one."  

"Why else would I show you the invite," I draped my arm around the back of his shoulders, giving an awkward side-hug on the couch.  "Will you be my plus one?"  

"Can I meet your dad before the wedding?"  His question surprised me.  Though, with a bit of consideration, it made sense.  My father hated the idea of Emily and I breaking up.  He's a man of wanting to spread the family name, and his son dating a man wont necessarily do that.  Luckily, he might be a bit less harsh on me now that Sophie is pregnant.  Though, 'Kirstein' won't be passed on unless she keeps her last name. 

I just hope my dad is okay with this.  I'll make sure he knows before we show up at his doorstep.

"Yeah, absolutely," I reassured him.  "He doesn't live too far away, we can make a day trip out of it?"  

I watched him nod, "Sounds like a plan."  

"I'll call him this week," I mentioned, resting my back more against the couch.  

"What do I call him?"  He asked, a slight hint of nervousness in his voice.

I rubbed soft circles on his opposite shoulder with my thumb, my arm still being around him.  "He's a tough cookie," a snicker escaped my lips, "'Sir' or 'Mr. Kirstein' will be fine.  Don't call him by his first name unless he tells you to."  

He nodded again, laying his head against my shoulder.  "I'm nervous," he stated blankly, "I feel like your father will hate me."  

"Hey," I pulled my other hand to his chin, pulling it up so he would look at me once again.  "My father won't hate you.  It's not like I'm gay all of a sudden.  He's known since high school that I'm bisexual.  If he knows that I truly love you and that your intentions are good with me, he'll lighten up.  My dad is a scary guy sometimes, but he's a huge softy once you get to know him."