After the Story

Third's POV:

"Come on, she's going to be late for the bus!"  Marco yelled from the kitchen of the quaint home, telling his husband to hurry up.  "She can't be late on her first day."  

"I can't get this though!"  The ash-haired man called back from the living room.  Their daughters things were scattered all over the living room, not even packed in her backpack for her first day. 

"Really, Jean?  I've shown you so many times!"  Marco responded, annoyed.  All he wanted to do was have a nice breakfast before Ellie had to go.

Ellie was their adopted daughter.  She made her way into the Bodt-Kirstein family five years ago after the boys got married.  Now, the three of them live together in a small home on the outskirts of the city.  

They live in a larger suburban neighborhood, getting along with their neighbors.  Marco even has Saturday bake nights with the other mothers and fathers of the area, wanting to get involved.  Of course, he uses Jean's mother's recipes and gets compliments every single time.  

"The tie keeps breaking," Jean began to grow frustrated.  The one thing he wanted to do for his daughter was failing.  He wanted her hair to be nice for her first day and he wanted to be the one to do it.  

"Here," Marco basically stomped into the living room, "get Ellie's things together so she can have breakfast," he demanded as he switched places with his husband.  The freckled man was now sitting behind Ellie on the couch, picking a new hair tie from the package and doing her hair flawlessly in one go.  

Jean was defeated.  He could never do his daughters hair like Marco could.  "Can you show me how to do that again after she gets home?"  

"Yeah," he helped Jean get her bag ready before he returned to the kitchen to finish up breakfast.

"Are you all set, Ellie?"  Jean kneeled down in front of the five year old, grabbing her hands in his.  "Are you nervous?"  

"Not as nervous as you," she smiled back at her father, squeezing his hands for reassurance.  The smaller blonde child was actually quite excited for school to start.  She had heard all about it from her dads and just wanted to start making friends.  She couldn't wait.  

Jean led his daughter to the kitchen, helping her in her chair at the dining table as Marco set a plate of cut up pancakes in front of her.

"Are you scared?"  Marco asked Jean, hoping he would share the same feeling of nervousness that he felt.  

"Yes," he responded honestly, going into a personal conversation while their daughter ate happily.  

Within twenty minutes, the family had finished up breakfast and it was time to take the child to the bus stop.  

The bus pulled up at the corner, the only kid at this stop was Ellie.  

Marco and Jean met the driver.  He relaxed the couple of any thoughts, seemingly already have this a few more times before this stop.  

"Have a great day, okay, Ellie?"  Jean smiled at his daughter, Marco doing the same.  They each gave her a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek before they let her on her way to the first day of school.  

Then, the emotions took over each boy.  

"She's growing up too fast..."  Jean spoke as tears started to pool at the corners of his eyes.  He went straight into his husbands arms for comfort.  

"She is," Marco joined him in the share of emotions, feeling the same way his husband felt.  

When the two of them returned home, neither of them knew what to do.  The house was completely empty for the first time in five years.