Mr. Kirstein

Jean's POV:

"Babe, are you ready?" I called to Marco from his living room couch, a leg crossed over my knee as I scrolled through my phone.

We were supposed to leave 25 minutes ago...

"Just a few more things," he called back and I could hear him frantically shuffling around his room.

"Marco, we're just going for two days, you don't need much."

"Jean, it's your dad! I want to impress him so I want to be prepared," he shut me up.

I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me. "You're being ridiculous, he's not going to care much."

Then, Marco came out of his room with a suitcase in hand, meeting me in the living room.

"You're the one who said he's a tough cracker, Jean. If you want to talk about who gave me this idea that he's scary, it's you."

"I wasn't like this when I met your mom on video call a few days ago," I rolled my eyes again and stood up, grabbing my small duffle bag from the floor.

"I didn't tell you my mom was scary..."

"Marco," I grabbed onto his shoulders so he would look at me in the eye, "my dad isn't scary. He might be a bit weird at first, but it's not like this is new to him. Marco, he'll see that I love you."

He nodded slowly, knowing this is all stuff I've said before. But, no matter how much I tell him or how much he needs reassuring, I will tell him time and time again.

When he relaxed, I let him go after a quick kiss to the cheek. "He's going to love you," I mentioned one last time before we grabbed our bags and started exiting the apartment.

"I left a note for Bertholdt," Marco brought up as we walked out of the building and to my car. "An extensive list of Kay's routine and how to take care of my plants. I swear if he kills one..."

"Marco," I raised an eyebrow as I packed our two bags in the trunk, "We'll be gone three days, not even. Your plants and Kay will be fine."

He let out a long sigh that I just ignored. We both got into the car and I started driving.

"How far is it?" He asked before we even got on the highway.

"Four hours," I replied with a soft smile. My right hand ventured to his thigh, patting it and squeezing it softly. "We've got a while."

I kept my hand on his leg, drawing soft circles with my thumb.

The car ride was comfortable. Marco posed a few questions about my family and I answered happily. As we grew closer, now about almost 40 minutes away, we entered farmland.

I'm from a small town surrounded by farms and fields. There's a few restaurants and shops in the city, but the city itself is in the middle of nowhere. My dad never moved away from the home he raised my sister and I in. I don't think he ever will.

"Jean, look!" I glanced out the window where Marco was pointing. "The cows are so cute!"

"That's the Regit Farm," I informed, "it's a wheat farm for production but they have cows for selling milk in the town. My dad knows Andy, the owner."

"I never knew you were a country boy," he had a slight tease to his voice but his question was genuine.

"I'm not," I snickered, finally exiting the highway. "The town is in the middle of nowhere but its not farmland. I lived in a small suburban style neighborhood."