Show Me What You Got

Author's Note

Welcome to the 3rd official part of my Star Wars Rebels and Marvel Defenders series. In part One of this story Luke Cage will deal with the war between the Rebels and the Empire in Harlem, New York/Lothal. Each Chapter is named after a song by a New York area rapper or rap group and will focus on lyrics relevant to a certain part of the Chapter. If you like what you read vote by clicking on the star at the bottom of the page and don't forget to comment.

Show Me What You Got by Jay Z

Show me what you got, lil mama
Show me what you got, pretty lady (Ow!)
Show me what you got, shorty
Show me what you got, baby (Uh, uh!)
Hands up and waves, and waves (Show 'Em Whatcha Got! Show 'Em Whatcha Got!)
And waves, and waves! Uh! (Show 'Em Whatcha Got!)

These lyrics are a reference to the character Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes and the harem of women that frequent his nightclub Harlem's Paradise that seek a seat in his VIP section.

April 2033

"Hey Pop why is Pat Riley able to get a free haircut at your shop?" Chico asked

"You know what Coach Riley meant to the New York Knicks why would you even ask that..." Pop replied before covering his mouth

"No Pop you gotta pay up. You just said a curse word and covering your mouth ain't gonna change that. Twenty credits in the jar." Shameek said with a smile

Pop sighed and said, "You're right."

Pop then turned away from Shameek and said, "Ok it looks like my work here is done. What was your name again?"

Pop looked at Ezra who just finished receiving his hair cut. His hair was cut short instead of the shoulder length style it was for the past few years. Ezra studied an old friend of Pop named Bobby Fish playing chess against himself. Ezra worried about his disguise remembered he chose to wear clothes similar to a Bounty hunter. He stared at his helmet which he placed next to Fish's chess set. Bobby Fish gave a warm smile, tipped his cap and handed Ezra his helmet.

"Just call me X. I'm just a guy who works odd jobs like him over there." Ezra replied pointing at Luke Cage

The massive Luke Cage held a small broom and went to the different chairs in the barbershop sweeping up hair on the ground. He stood out to Ezra for obvious reasons but everyone else treated the situation as ordinary.

"You're a Bounty Hunter. I'm not. I actually put in a hard day's work without taking advantage of people."

"So what? The kid over there is absolutely balling. Probably got tons of credits to his name. You doing all that work and you still broke." Shameek argued

Shameek and Chico laughed and shook hands. Ezra reached for his helmet preparing to leave now. Uncomfortable about all the attention on him he walked towards the door. Luke scoffed at Shameek.

"If you got something to say big man just say it." Shameek challenged glaring at Luke

"You talk a big game Shameek. You've been doing that for weeks. But what do you even do besides sitting in your chair getting free haircuts?"

"I was something in this neighborhood before these stupid uprisings happened all over the world. Five years ago I had the best coaches looking to see me play ball in this neighborhood. Then the Empire shut down all amateur sports right before my team was scheduled to play in a big tournament. If it wasn't for these Rebels I'd already be playing professional ball styling and profiling."