Chapter 8.

Hollow.

Mia felt hollow to the core.

Why was it always her? Why couldn't she have one nice thing. Just one.

But it was too late now. Far too late. But little did she know that whilst she was in bed moping around, James Potter was doing exactly the same thing in his Head Boy dorm.

If you asked James Potter why he had asked Lily Evans out, he would simply say it was because 'he loved his Lily flower with his whole heart' but that wasn't true.

It might have been true last year or the year before that. But after a certain blue eyed girl with crooked teeth who was named after the stars confided in him about her struggles, he loved Lily Evans no more.

In truth, James had no clue why he asked Lily out.

Maybe it was just routine at this point: he had asked her on a day every single week for the past 7 years. That's one hell of a habit to break. But with his new found desire for Mia Estella Walburga Black, he felt like he needed Lily Evans to distract him. He needed something to fill the hole of doubt that threatens to consume him.

Both Mia and James, in rooms on the opposite sides of the castle, sat in bed staring at the ceiling; wondering why fate seemed to constantly draw them apart.

Hours went by as night approached Mia hauled herself out of bed knowing she had to face James for the potions assignment. The mere thought of having to plaster on the fake mask again made her want to cry. She never wanted to be weak. But sometimes, just sometimes, she needed to be vulnerable. Because it always got to be to much. She would always crumble after a while. But she had no choice. She brushed her hair, threw on her big hoodie and filled her satchel with books. She crept out of the dungeons and began her ascent to the astronomy tower. Her feet felt heavy as she walked to the place she was dreading.

How was she supposed to do it? How was she supposed to look him in the eye every day and deny herself the love she deserved?

She finally reached the door and swung it open to reveal a disheveled looking James Potter. He stared at her then gave her his classic grin. She tried her best to smile back.

Without even thinking James asked her a question.

"Why do you never smile with your teeth?" He asked inquisitively.

Mia was taken aback by the fact he noticed. And also how incredibly random his question was.

"I smile with my teeth all the time." She said defensively. She wasn't expecting him to say something like that.

"No you don't. I don't think I've ever seen you smile with your teeth on show." He quipped back.

Mia knew that he wasn't going to drop this so she thought she might as well just tell him the truth.

"Because Prongs, I don't exactly have the nicest teeth in world." She said quietly.

"I think you have a beautiful smile." He said sheepishly.

Despite the fact that Mia's heart warmed at hearing this, she couldn't help but feel guilty.

"I don't think you should be saying things like that now you have a girlfriend Prongs." She said.

"Oh yeah s'pose so." He said glumly.

"But she's actually not my girlfriend yet Mimi. We're only going on a date"

Mia was a bit shocked. He didn't exactly sound excited. Wanting to diffuse the awkward tension Mia spoke up.

"Right then, let's make a start." Mia said.

"I'll work on the draught of living death, you do Felix Felicis. Just take notes right now. Then tomorrow we can meet up again and write them up neatly." She instructed him.

James smiled at her. It was nice to see her take charge.

They both set to work, spreading their books out and taking scruffy notes on pieces of parchment. They sat on the cold stone floor of the astronomy tower for many hours. Stealing glances at one another.

As the sun began to rise they stood up and stretched their limbs.

"How are you not tired?" James questioned. Mia looked fresh as daisy. She hadn't yawned once since they began studying whereas James was struggling to keep his eyes open.

"I'm just used to not getting much sleep I guess." As soon as the words left her mouth she wanted to smack herself. Why couldn't she stop herself from telling James these things? She never usually showed emotion but in front of James it was like he was a magnet, bringing all of her feelings to the surface.

James' eyes softened as he grasped what she said. He didn't know what spurred him to say what he did next but he just felt compelled to tell her.

" You know, it's not just Sirius who's welcome at my house." He said trying to hint to her what she meant.

"Any time, night or day. You will always have a place with me and my parents Echo." He said gently.

Mia didn't know why, but instead of gratitude and happiness, anger and shock flooded her vision.

Why the hell did he just say that?

Mia was fine. She could cope. She was strong. Did he really think she was that weak?

"Do you really think it's that easy?" She said through gritted teeth.

"You have no idea Potter. You have no fucking clue what it's like. Sirius may have been able to leave me behind, but at least I had Regulus. If I leave too, then who will be there for him? Did you think about that? If I leave, what will happen to Regulus? I'll tell you James, he'll be beaten twice as much because I won't be there to half it. He will be forced into a marriage he doesn't want. And he'll be made to become one of them." Mia spat angrily.

How could James say something like that? How could he even think about suggesting that Mia leave Regulus all alone.

He was being selfish.

Selfish.

"Well he could come aswell." He said.

Mia just stared at him in utter shock. Was he really that stupid? Did he actually think that Regulus Black would leave his parents to live with the likes of James Potter and his family?

She let out a disbelieving laugh and scrambled to pick up her books.

" They very fact that you just said all of that proves you have no bloody clue what your talking about. I'll see you tomorrow James." She said as she ran out the door.

She moodily shuffled back towards her dormitory.

She regretted the way she handled that. But she hated people bringing up her parents. It made her feel like they doubted she could cope. That they thought she was weak.

She wasn't weak.

She wasn't.

As she entered her dorm she saw someone sat in her bed wrapped up in her blankets.

Evelyn.

Mia just jumped in beside her and wrapped her arms around Evelyn.

"It's all gone to shit Evie." She said sadly.

Evelyn opened up her arms widely for Mia to climb into.

"It'll get better Mimi. I promise." Evelyn said into her best friends hair.

But Evelyn Pip should not have made that promise, for she could not keep it.

Hey people,
Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Sorry if it seems like Mia is being to open with what she faces at home. But my story is set so that James and Mia were really good friends since 1st year so it is kind of easy for Mia to open up. Also if your loosing interest then don't worry because next chapter is dramatic so buckle up.
I would really appreciate some comments from you guys!!
~M