Chapter 14.

Mia sat on Evelyn's bed with yellow bedding surrounding her bruised body. Regulus and the Pip girl were sat awkwardly at the end. Staring at the emotionless girl before them.

Mia had not said a word since the fight. And she refused to let them tend to her wounds. She just stared out the window and did not move her eyes.

Gone.

It was all gone.

The pain.

The heartbreak.

The doubt.

It had all seemingly vanished from her mind. And in its wake, it had left one single image imprinted: James cradling a trembling Lily in his arms, glaring at Mia over his shoulder.

Numb.  She had never felt this type of numbness before. She felt as though if someone pinched her, she wouldn't feel it. She couldn't tell if it was a welcome feeling or not. Because even though she hated the hollow pain that ate away at her heart knowing that James would never love her. It reminded her that she was human, that she was nothing like her parents. Because she cared about someone enough to let it ruin her entire being.

She clutched her hands into fists so tightly that her palms stung with pain as her nails dug into her soft skin.

She felt something.

So she did it again. She clenched them even harder. More pain. She nearly cracked a smile.

She liked this pain.

It was satisfying. She could control when it would hurt and when it wouldn't. It made her feel an odd sense of power.

She couldn't control anyone else's feelings or thoughts about her, but she could control this stinging pain that now invaded her hands.

But she was pulled from her thoughts as Regulus sat down next to her. He firmly gripped her chin and inspected the large gash on her head not giving her any time to protest before he placed a damp cloth to the weeping wound.

She was most definitely concussed. She had a deep bruise forming on her cheek, which was familiar to Regulus, because she was always sporting one when they were at Grimmauld Place. And she most likely had several more bruises littering her body. But again, that would be familiar to Regulus.

Even when Regulus was trying to clean her up, she just stayed there. Staring at one spot outside the window.

"Mimi?" Regulus questioned softly.

She finally ripped her gaze from the window to Regulus's face but he wished she hadn't. Because the look on her face was enough to bring tears to his eyes. Her crystalline blue eyes that were once alive and bright were now deep and dull. The hazel and green ring that surrounded her iris was now a damp colour.

It was as if the colour had drained from her eyes without actually disappearing.

A tear trickled down Regulus' cheek. Never in his life had he seen Mia look so broken.

It was as if she was giving up.

He stopped dabbing at her head wound and pulled her into his arms.

"I love you Mimi. Don't ever forget that." He whispered.

"Pinky promise? Mia questioned.

Regulus smiled. A small part of her soul had mended itself. Because that saying 'pinky promise' was one that held much more than just a small promise to the Black siblings.

It was an indestructible vow.

One that only the three siblings would understand.

Mia stuck out her trembling and weak pinky finger and Reg did the same. They linked their fingers in a tight twist and brought their hands to their mouths kissing the ends.

"I love you Regulus." Mia smiled slightly.

A small sniffling sound erupted in the silence of the room. Both Mia and Regulus looked at one another, to see that both their cheeks were dry. The sobbing increased and they crooked their necks to see Evelyn Pip staring at them while crying loudly.

"I'm sorry, it was just so-" She stopped and sobbed for a second.

"So beautiful." Sue managed to get out.

Mia and Regulus looked at the girl and burst into laughter. Evelyn looked at them with glistening eyes and began to chuckle along with them.

"Crazy gits." Evelyn mumbled.

Regulus had to wipe tears from his eyes due to how hard he was laughing.

He untangled himself from his hug with Mia and encased Evelyn in his arms.

Mia could see the faint blush rise to Evelyn's cheeks. But then Evelyn snuggled her face into Regulus's shoulders so Mia could no longer see her flustered face.

"You look a bit hot there Pipsqueak." Mia said smugly.

Evelyn simply raised her middle finger to Mia behind Regulus's back.

Mia began to laugh softly again.

Regulus had began to tell her all about how he kept hearing Fabian Prewett say how fit she was. And he also added that Fabian was a suitable choice in boyfriend if she ever thought of the red head in that way.

She was lucky.

She had two beautiful people that were willing to sit with her for hours, just to make sure she was okay. Because they loved her. She had never felt to special. So loved. She just wished her mind would remember this in her darkest moments. Her heart still ached with rejection. But it was slowly grading into a dull pain rather than a deathly stab.

But Mia knew that Regulus Black and Evelyn Pip would never leave her. They were family. And family is forever.

Or so she thought.

Thank you Guys so much for 150 reads. I never in a million years thought this book would get over 10 readers 😂. I know it may not seem like many but it's quite a big milestone for me as just having people read my writing and actually saying they enjoy it makes me so happy. Thank you to everyone who votes and comments! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't worry their will be some more Jia action soon (I can't say weather it will be good or bad though!)
~M