Chapter 18.

TW: This chapter contains graphic writing about a sensitive subject: Bulimia. Please read at your own risk.

Mia wished with all her heart that she could say when her life began to look up, her nightmares went down.

But she couldn't.

For every night she lay in her bed staring up at the ceiling. Terrified of what would await her unconscious state that night.

But on this particular night. She had been lying sentient for several hours shaking with anxiety of what was to come.

So instead of facing the terrors of her mind. She shoved on one of Sirius's hoodies that she had previously stolen and carefully crept to the one place where she knew she could sleep peacefully. In the presence of her true family.

The Marauders dorm.

She whispered the password to the Fat Lady who sneered at her in disapproval for being up at such an ungodly hour but let her in none the less.

By the time Mia was walking up the spiral stone staircase to the dorm, she was exhausted. Ready to flop in whichever bed lay closest to the door.

What she did not expect though, was to collapse on top of a large muscular body.

Groans erupted from the person under the mass of blanket. Mia carefully rolled over off the grumbling teenager. She didn't really care who it was out of the Marauders so she just snatched up the blankets and made herself comfortable.

"Oi." She heard the boy whisper angrily.

Of fucking course.

James Bloody Potter.

Mia thought the universe must be punishing her for an ancient crime.

Just as she was trying to get over him, it looked like they would be sharing a bed. Not that she minded but still.

"Go to sleep Prongs." Mia whispered.

James went to grab the blankets but Mia had such a tight grip on them that he ended up pulling her along with them.

The two teens now lay very close to each other awkwardly staring at the drapes covering the four poster bed.

"You okay?" James questioned in a hushed tone.

He knew it must of been a nightmare. She wouldn't have come here for anything else. But he had accepted the fact that Mia may not open up to him after what he said to her. So he just gently draped his arm over her waist and whispered.

"I'll keep you safe Mimi."

Mia was certain that her heart had just exploded inside her chest. So she snuggled her head into the crook of his neck and replied in a gentle tone.

"I'm scared to go to sleep James."

James heart ached. He knew he could never take away her pain and trauma. It would probably hang over head for the rest of her life. Some things just can't be forgotten. But there was one thing he could do.

He could help her learn to love herself. He could distract her from the darkness and lead her towards the light. James Potter could slowly help Mia Black repaint her life the way she wanted. It would be chaotic. It would be hard. But James knew that he had to help the broken girl that lay in his arm to find the beautiful colours of the world again.

But he couldn't stop the niggling thought at the back of his head. What about Lily. After 7 years of trying he had captured Lily's heart the only issue was he wasn't so sure if he wanted it anymore. But he could hardly change his kind now.