Chapter 13.

"Regulus." Mia breathed out as she engulfed her younger brother in a comforting hug. She lovingly stroked her hand through his black curls which was tricky because he was rather tall.

But suddenly Mia pulled back as she realised the implications of Regulus's recklessness.

"Reg, what are you doing? We can't be seen. You need to leave. Now." She said backing away. If Regulus was caught with Mia then it would have disastrous consequences.

"Mimi, I needed to make sure you were okay. I heard what Potter said to you and I really wanted to kick his ass but Sirius stopped me. So I cam-"

"Wait, what do you mean 'Sirius stopped you'?" She questioned whilst interrupting him.

Regulus rubbed the back of his head awkwardly, realising that he may have just made the situation worse.

"Well you see, er, I went to, um..." he stuttered nervously.

"You what Reggie." Mia said growing impatient.

"Look, Lily Evans had bit of a meltdown last night. She said that you have been spreading rumours about her, calling her a slut and a whore. And well, um, our dear brother and his insufferable friends have taken her side. Last night, I heard that James spent the whole night on the common sofa because 'his precious Lily flower' was so devastated." He rambled out.

Mia just stood there, mouth agape.

So that's why.

That's why Sirius never came to make sure she was okay after his best friend betrayed her trust and spread her insecurities for all to see. That's why he didn't hug her as she ran away crying. That's why he wasn't the one the stay with her all night as she sobbed uncontrollably.

Because of Lily Evans.

Lily fucking Evans.

It was always Lily Evans.

All Mia could see was red. Angry red. The rich deep crimson colour of blood. The Scarlett vermilion shade of red.

Mia ripped her arm from Regulus's grip and stormed out the classroom. She swung the door open so roughly that a deep draft erupted down the corridor.

Mia charged down the hallways until she came to the large doors of the Great hall. She scanned the Gryffindor table for a head of silky red hair. When her eyes zoned in on the Marauders, Lily and her friends, Mia stamped towards them. Catching several peoples attention as most people in the school were aware of the scandalous gossip regarding Mia Black.

"Oi Evans." Mia demanded.

It angered her even more when she took in the weak look on Lily's face. James had his arm around her protectively as he glared at Mia.

Her heart broke at the evil stare he was giving her.

Sirius looked at his sisters face and felt nothing but sadness. He had suspicions that Mia liked James but he never thought that she would go about it like this. Lily was such a lovely person, she didn't deserve to be called such filthy things.

Lily looked up at Mia meekly.

Lily knew that Mia had never said any of those things. But it was so easy to turn people against her. The Evans girl knew she had to eliminate the threat Mia posed to her and James's relationship, so that was exactly what she was doing. Eliminating the threat.

"Back off Black." James growled.

Mia was holding back tears. Black. He rarely used her last name and now the fact he was angry made it clear to Mia that it was over. Completely over.