Chapter 46.

There is a type of pain, so great, that you almost can't feel it.

Because your numb.

Your body has been under so much crushing agony, that it desensitises itself. Until you feel nothing.

It picks apart the colours. It strips you of your smile. Until all you can do it stare ahead and wonder what could have been.

The only ounce of pain left as a pinching reminder of what happened, is the pain you feel deep down in the depths of your heart when you think of something you should tell that person, but then remember.

They're gone.

The pain of realising you don't need to tell them those silly jokes you think of when your bored. Or save them a bite of your food because it's their favourite.

Because they're gone.

And Mia Estella Walburga Black felt nothing.

But she thought the worst part was. She was happy.

She was happy she felt nothing. Because she knew that the moment her walls crumbled and her protective bubble she created for herself disappeared, she would be wishing for the numbness to engulf her entire body so that she didn't have to feel the aching sting of loss. Which is why she was savouring it while it lasted.

After Evelyn Pip had left. Never to return into Mia's life. The marauders cautiously looked at one another, expecting an imminent breakdown to occur.

But it didn't.

She simply turned to look at James and shot him a small sad smile. And exited the dormitory.

Everyone stood still for a second processing their momentary shock.

But quickly coming to his senses, James raced out of the room, scrambling down the stairs after his girlfriend. He was confused to say the least.

He had expected her to cry. To break down. Because in his mind, Mia and Evelyn held more love for each other than perhaps real siblings did.

But Mia didn't do any of that.

She couldn't.

Because this was the last straw. The final gate holding down the torrents of angry emotions. The last string holding together her delicate heart.

And if she let go. She would never be able to gather the fragile pieces of her life back together.

This would be the crack that shattered her.

So she had no choice but take a large gulp of air. Wipe furiously under her eyes and continue her swift descent towards the Slytherin common room, actively ignoring the desperate pleas of her boyfriend telling her to slow down.

She whispered the password, and didn't take a minute to collect herself before marching through the velvet green room. Many heads turned her way and sneered in disgust.

But for the first time maybe in her whole life, she didn't care.

She didn't even give them a second look as she stomped up the stairs to her little brothers dormitory.

She couldn't think straight. Her mind concentrated on one thought and then jumped to another.

How do you tell someone that they will never be loved by the person that they would give their life for?

Or to put it more simply.

How do you tell someone they are unloved?

You can't.