Chapter 23.

TW: Nightmares

A heavy body flung themselves on top of Mia and James. Followed by another, and then another. Mia groaned in pain as someone elbowed her back and kicked her in the leg as they all wriggled about. The potter boy rolled over on top of her to try and shield her but ended up squashing her more. She yelped in pain as the four teenage boys were quite literally crushing her.

James pushed them all off and hugged Mia close to his side her but Sirius then scrambled into bed next to his twin and buried his head in the crook of her neck like a baby so James was forced to loosen his grip on the girl.

Mia had begun acclimatising from her sleepy state as she realised the date. November 3rd. It's was hers and Sirius's birthday.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU UGLY FUCKER!" She exclaimed as she ruffled up Sirius's hair. He groaned and licked her arm to stop her.

"Eww, you dirty slag." She screeched at him.

She unhooked herself from James' arm and tackled Sirius. And began smacking him over the head. Sirius retaliated by jabbing at her sides.

"Ow, bitch." She groaned in pain.

Mia tugged on a strand of his hair roughly.

"OWWW MOONY SHE PULLED MY LUSCIOUS LOCKS. ONLY YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO THAT!" Sirius cried to Remus. The werewolf simply rolled his eyes at his dramatics. But Mia didn't miss the way his cheeks turned the colour of flames.

The twins kept squabbling as Peter and Remus egged them on. James had finally had enough so he linked his arms round Mia's waist and pulled her onto his lap to break the two siblings apart.

Mia went beet red as she felt James beneath her. He was certainly rather excited for her birthday. Or maybe something else.

"Happy to see me are you Prongs?" She questioned jokingly as she wiggled around on his lap.

James bit his tongue to restrain his moans. He leaned in close to her ear making her skin erupt in goosebumps.

"Your lucky it's your birthday. Or else I wouldn't be so nice." He said making Mia shiver. But he swiftly changed back into his normal self and moved her off his lap, he discreetly made his way into the bathroom as the Marauders all laughed and catcalled him. Mia snuggled back into the bed and looked over at Sirius.

"Happy Birthday Padfoot." She whispered. Sirius placed a genuine kiss on her forehead and whispered back.

"Here's to becoming real adults." He said as he raised his hip flask for his toast. She giggled and rested her head on his chest. She was so exhausted so she let the soft blanket of sleep envelope her body lulling her into a deep slumber.

A little girl dressed in a pink dress with small gems littering the skirt, stood shakily in the centre of a room staring at her father. To a wandering eye peeking through the window it would have been a sweet image. A small child on her birthday looking up to her father. But within the walls of Grimmauld Place, this was quite the opposite of a pretty picture. It was the dark shadows that lurked in the corners of nightmares. The demons that ate away at peoples souls until there was no trace of sanity. Unbeknownst to the little girl, it's what she would be facing for the rest of her life.

Mia felt as though she was stood in the corner observing the scene unfold. But then it hit her like a slamming door.

She was the girl. The girl was her. And this was not a dream created by her joyful desires. It was a nightmare orchestrated by her ruinous dark memories. She could faintly recall certain parts of this day.

Thunder. She could remember sharp claps of thunder booming through the walls.

Raindrops. She could remember large splashes of rain trickle down the window.

Whistling. She could remember a deep whistle rushing under the door creating a draught of wind.

But there is one thing she would never forget. The way her fathers eyes glinted as he pointed his wand at her innocent body. The way his voice deepened as he spoke, as though he was excited for what was to come.

And she would never forget the word that still haunts her dreams.

Crucio.

The young girl crumpled to the floor in agony. A tiny yell erupted from the child's mouth. Her body convulsed as her fragile self could not possibly handle the mountains of pure pain that was being unleashed upon her from the evil mans wand. Like nothing she had ever felt before.

Her small arms arms making cracking noises as they thumped against the furniture. Whimpers fell from her mouth, her vision blurred and became spotty as she could not handle the pressure on her head from the torture now. Just as she was about to tip over the cusp of unconsciousness the curse was lifted. The stabbing pain seeped slowly into a dull ache. But the unbearable tiredness was begging to take over. She didn't want to fall asleep, for she dreaded the pain she would wake up to.

The small child dressed in pink. Little did she know that the curse she received as her birthday present that year would be one of the many to come for the rest of her life.

A small tear slipped from her eye as she felt someone tapping her shoulder.

Mia glued her eyes to the drapes in the ceiling of James bed. She dared not move in case doing so let the tears unleash and made her crumble. A few more slid down her soft rosy cheeks as she turned her head to meet the boys face.

The sinking feeling of pain that had left her chest weeks ago, seemed to have suddenly settled back down as she thought about her parents. She couldn't shake the spine chilling look of terror on her younger selfs face. She realised now, that, that had been the moment that Mia Estella Walburga Black grew up. That was moment when she was no longer a small child who sought the colourful parts of life, but a traumatised young soul who had been exposed to the harsh realities of life far too early. That day is when it all began.

But as Mia stared into James mossy hazel orbs. Some of the dread seemed to seep out. She could feel his hand tracing shapes under her shirt on her bare back.

"You okay?" He asked quietly.

Mia looked around and saw the other Marauders milling around the room.

"I suppose." She whispered back.

"You don't have to be strong in front of me you know. I know your hurting." He said.

"I know James." She relied.

"But I'm worried that if I start letting it out, then everything will come crashing down all too soon and I won't be able to stop it." She said as more tears escaped.

James didn't say anything more. He just hugged her unbelievably tight to his chest and hummed a soothing tune in her ear.

He was humming happy birthday to her.

Mia knew deep down she was still the same person as that young girl dressed in pink. But never in a million years would she have expected her to be where she is now. Of course she is still scared if her parents, and that may never change. But it's not the fear that matters, it's how you overcome it.

And Mia Estella Walburga Black could safely say that day by day she was learning to face the terrors that haunted her with James Potter by her side.

Sorry that was low-key rubbish 😭 but I had my first day back at school today so it was shit.
Next chapter should be kind of better but the Christmas holidays will be juicy.
Hope you guys enjoyed please vote and comment.
~M