Chapter 40.

"H-he's what?" James stumbled over the words almost  comically. All his anger seemed to dissipate and he was suddenly overcome with crippling guilt.

"He's a fucking death eater James!" Mia cried as sobs shook her frame.

James reached out to comfort her but she slapped his hand away.

She had never felt such anger. Like molten lava pulsing through her blood. Like fire blazing in her eyes.

But she had also never felt such sadness.

Because saying it aloud. Made it real.

"Are you happy now?" She whimpered.

James could barely form any words. He had never felt such a torrent of colourful emotions.

"I...I'm sorry." He whispered meekly.

"Yeah. Me too." She said harshly as she turned over in bed to block out the world. She shuffled away several times as James tried to pull her body close to him. She really wasn't in the mood. She didn't want to be near James, let alone cuddled up to him.

They both lay on their sides facing away from each other, neither could sleep. But the room was now too awkward to attempt anything else other than at least pretend to be.

James had a growing pool of frustration in his stomach. Now that he knew of the true danger that had occurred over summer. He couldn't stop thinking of the peril that Mia was in.

She was continually willingly putting herself in such dangerous positions.

And that scared him more than anything in this world.

Mia had similar thoughts swirling around. She knew that sooner or later she would be joining Regulus if she did not escape. But after the dark Lord had permanently marked him, he needed her more than ever. So she genuinely had to stay.

Why couldn't James see that?

After a while of wallowing in the torment of their own minds, they drifted into an uncomfortable sleep.

They were together once more at Hogwarts, but yet they had never felt more alone than they did that night.

The peeping morning sun bled into the blue sky bringing daylight in its wake.

Mia's eyes slowly opened and her sleepy daze left quickly as she looked at the peaceful face of her love.

As she took in the gentle furrow of his brow and small dimple in his cheeks, she couldn't help but let the anger melt away. She cringed slightly as she realised how mushy hearted James Potter had made her. But it didn't matter what happened between them.

She loved him.

She loved him so much that she couldn't dig up even an ounce of anger as she stroked his cheek tenderly.

Because she loved him.

Upon the feeling of someone patting his face, James stirred from his restless slumber. As he opened his eyes and rubbed the sleep from them, Mia ceased her cheek soothing to simply stare at him.

They looked at each other as if it was the first time laying eyes on one another.

Because for the first time, they realised that it didn't matter what happened. Because they loved eachother.

Mia loved James.

And James loved Mia.

It didn't matter if Mia lived at Hogwarts, or the Potter manor or Grimmauld Place. Because they loved each other.

Whole heartedly.

Passionately.

Shamelessly.

Mia loved James.

And James loved Mia.

And they would do anything to protect that love. They would go to the ends of the earth to make each other happy.

Because to them, the smile of the person they loved, was worth a thousand stars. A million constellations. Billions of suns.

"I love you to the moon and back." Mia whispered.

"I love you to the moon and back twice." James hummed back.

They slipped back down into the soft covers of the bed and held each other in the most loving embrace that two lovers could share.

They spent the rest of the day like that. They would of course, have to soon face the music. Sirius would be finding out imminently about the events of Christmas and if James was quite this overprotective, then it didn't bare thinking about what Sirius would be like.

But for the time being, they were teenagers. Not children preparing to fight in a war. Not two lovers worrying about wether they will be both be alive long enough to have a future together. They were teenagers.

The following day was the beginning of lessons. Of course that meant "rising and shining" early for all the inhabitants of Hogwarts. And for those that hadn't seen the light of day at 8:00 for nearly three weeks over the holidays. This was a challenge.

"NO MOONY LET ME GO." Sirius screamed as Remus hauled him off the bed.

Mia and James were cuddled in James's old bed in the Marauders dorm trying to be discreet as they pulled the covers further over themselves.

"I see you two. Your not invisible dipshits!" Remus sighed exasperatedly.

He really was the mother hen of the group.

After a good hour of pinching, hair pulling and a few playful slaps. The Marauders and Mia made their way towards the Great Hall. They were all in joyous spirits despite the darkness pooling at two of their hearts as they spotted the Slytherins surrounding the youngest Black.

As they entered. They were met with a sight that made their stomachs churn.

The daily prophet lay strewn in the centre of all tables.

However, in the middle of the scarlet and gold dining table, a young girl was hunched over the newspaper. Several students who looked to be of a similar age were huddle over her, patting her back and stroking her hair in a futile attempt to lessen her soul shattering cries.

The sobs of complete brokenness emerging from the child mouth sounded like a song of torment. The melody of death.

It was as if the screams leaving her mouth were also emitting a black fog that cast the entire hall into unbearable grief. Not many of the people in that room knew how a child must be feeling after bearing the loss of an entire family. But they didn't need to.

Because the echoing whimpers were enough to tell the whole world how she would never be the same. The 13 year old girl in the house of bravery would never smile the same way. Would never laugh the same way. She would never be the same.

Mia gripped onto James shirt as if it was the only thing that was keeping her from collapsing. The heavy grief in the air was bearing down on every soul in the castle. It was too much.

The blue eyed girl scanned the room with tear stained vision. She couldn't see much through the wobbly river of tears. But when the striking flash of grey sliced through the salty water. It all became clear. Regulus Black stared at his sister with the most guilt-stricken look she had ever lauded eyes on.

It was too late.

He had chosen his side now.

The war had already begun.

Hey besties, hope you enjoy this chapter! Would really appreciate any comments and votes! Thank you so much for reading this book and I know I say it almost every chapter but it honestly does mean so much to me. Anywayyys, cute Jia fluff coming up soon ;)
Love you guys and please look after yourself. ❤️
~M