xxviii. matt casey.🌿

"Another head injury could exacerbate symptoms to a debilitating level

"Another head injury could exacerbate symptoms to a debilitating level."

The words replayed in Captain Matt Casey's mind like a broken record. "Matt?" you called for him multiple times, but he only snapped out of his trance on the 4th time you called. Lately, he had been distant. He was there, but he wasn't. Something was wrong, you could tell. Matt is usually very open with you about his issues; it took him a long time to learn to talk to you. You've been married for 2 years, together for 6, and have two kids: a 4 year old daughter and you're pregnant now with your second.

You were now 5 months pregnant. "Matthew, are you okay? You haven't been right lately," you sipped your tea. He stared for a second before rubbing his eyes. He'd been doing that a lot lately, too. "I'm fine, just a headache," he told you, shrugging it off. You knew about his first head injury, so for him to take this one so lightly bothered you greatly. "Did you hurt yourself again? On the job?" you asked, and he diverted his eyes. "Matthew, are you serious?" you were more angry than anything.

"Y/N, calm down, I'm fine," he stood up, happy your daughter was currently at daycare. "Matt, you know you can't play around with head injuries, and your doctor told you before-" "I know what they said!" he yelled back, the argument quickly growing heated. "I'm not gonna lose my job, I love what I do-" "And what about your LIFE? It's one thing to lose you because you die on the job, not because you were too stupid to go to the doctor! I need you alive! I can't do this without you," you finally broke down, crying loudly. You felt Matt's arms around you, but you pushed him away.

"I'm not doing this with you, Matthew Casey. If you're not going to get checked out and you want to die, just pack your shit and go. I don't want to have to explain to two children why their dad is-" "Y/N, stop it!" he yelled over you to stop your rambling. "I'm not going anywhere and you need to stop being so over dramatic.." he sighed, walking up to you. "After my first head injury, I told myself that the next one would end my career. That I would never be able to do what I love again.. But you're right; my job as a firefighter doesn't come close to my job as a husband and a father.. I love you, Y/N, and Macie, and our little one on the way," he leaned down to place his hands on your stomach, your tears falling on your shirt.

"Matt, I need you. We all do, please go get checked out," you pleaded, holding his face in your hands. He let a few tears fall that you wiped away with your thumbs. "I-I will, Y/N, I promise. I'll never leave you all, I love you way too much.."

——

matt needs to take better care of his injuries!!! his head injury has me so worried, poor thing.

-a.