xxxi. edmundo diaz.💥

TW/CW: Mentions of Domestic Violence

-

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, you need to keep the line moving," the female cashier told you. You came to the grocery store with your 9 year old son, only trying to buy bread and milk, but you didn't have enough money. "Please, I need this. My son needs to eat tonight," you pleaded, hoping to see some humanity from the woman, but you received nothing. "I'm can't let you-" "I've got it," a man's voice piped up from behind you. You turned around to see a handsome man with brown hair and almost olive skin. He paid for your groceries and you wanted to thank him. His son was with him, around the same age as yours. As you both exited the store at the same time, you thanked him over and over. "Please, don't worry about it. My name's Edmundo, people call me Eddie, and this is my son Christopher," he introduced.

"And who's this guy?" he knelt down, and your son stepped away from him and hid behind you. You gave a sheepish smile, and Eddie seemed to understand. "This is David, my son. My name is Y/N," you shook his hand and when you went to leave, Eddie stopped you once again. "Did you walk here? Maybe I can drive you home?" he offered, and you declined knowing he'd already done more than enough. "Please, I would hate to see you two walking out here in this LA heat," he said, using the heat as an excuse. You couldn't say no to such a generous offer twice, so you followed him to his car.

Eddie opened the passenger door for you, and made sure David and Christopher were in before leaving. You held small conversation in the front while David and Christopher were becoming best friends in the back. When Eddie dropped you off, he offered to take you on a date, which you were hesitant about, but you agreed. A few days later, he was parked outside your house, both you and David going together. Eddie brought Christopher, and you all went to the park. As you sat on the bench watching David and Christopher play, you and Eddie got to know each other. "So where is David's dad? Is he in the picture? I'd hate to overstep if he is-" "he's not.. he hasn't been for a while now," you answered, thinking about all the bloody noses and bruises he'd given you and David.

"I had to get David out of that environment. You know, they talk about being a good parent and making sure your child has food and somewhere to lay their head.. but they always mention the love and security they're supposed to feel second when it should be first.. so I thought keeping David there would help, but sometimes I think it did more harm than good.." you had to stop to take a deep breath. "Does that make me a bad mother?" you asked, wiping the tears from your eyes. Eddie moved closer to you, placing a hand on your knee. "No, not at all," he answered, turning you to face him.

"No, not at all. I think about how my choices affect Christopher every single day. 'Did I do that right? Did I choose right?' But parenting is a different kind of battle, one that doesn't come with a manual or a tutorial or a guide. You just have to trust your gut.. and if David's well being is always what drives you to make those hard choices, then you're doing it right," he gave a half smile, one that you both shared. "Thank you, Eddie.. David and I show probably get going. He has some homework to finish," you stood up, Eddie doing the same. "Maybe Christopher and David can work on their homework together one day," he suggested, although it was more of a question.

"I'd like that."