xlii. stuart scola.🦋

"So let me get this straight, you actually enjoy running? Like, when nothing is chasing you?" you asked, a smirk playing at your lips

"So let me get this straight, you actually enjoy running? Like, when nothing is chasing you?" you asked, a smirk playing at your lips. "It's a form of exercise. You know, 'the healthy movement'? I'm sure you don't get much of that," Stuart retorted, sharing the same grin. Your laugh echoed through the skyline apartment that belonged to him, overlooking New York on a clear night. Stuart smiled at you as the lights below illuminated your face, showing all the wrinkles not from age, but from laughing at him. It made him love you. You'd only known each other for a year and were spending time outside of work for a month or two. The laughter died down and the only people in the world were the both of you, sitting so close you could feel the heat from his body. Slowly, you felt yourself leaning towards him, his gravitational pull like the Earth to the Sun. "Were you about to-" "no, I was just getting some more wine," you laughed nervously, certain that you'd ruined the night. You stood up, walking to the kitchen, and poured yourself another glass. This one, you'd downed quickly, needing the alcohol to get your mind off of the awkwardness that just happened.

After a few minutes, you'd given him a terrible excuse about how your nonexistent pet had to be fed and taken care of, so you left his apartment in a haste, muttering an even weirder goodbye. When you got in your car, you cursed under your breath. Surely, Stuart would want absolutely nothing to do with you ever again. The next day at work, Scola approached your desk. "Hey, you free to talk for a sec?" he asked, and without looking up from your computer, you shook your head. "No, I have to finish these evals or Jubal is gonna have my head-" "I won't be long, please," he said, and the sound in his voice made you look into his eyes. You followed him, speechless, to an empty room, and he closed the door. "Y/N, I shouldn't have hesitated. I want you to know that the other night was not your fault. Having sex is so easy, but when real feelings are involved, it.. scares me," he admitted, and it made sense. "I want to be together, if you do, I am just sorry for the other night," you leaned forward and kissed him, and he pulled you inhumanly closer. "Let's work this case so we can go back to your place," you smirked, and he returned one..

Your stomach turned as you looked at the pregnancy test in your hand.

'Positive'—the two little lines looking at you with a feeling you couldn't describe. You felt all the mixed emotions that came along with it. Wanting to tell Stuart Scola, but not wanting to see a sour look across his face. You weren't sure how he would take the news. You waited in his apartment, as he'd given you a spare key, and sat watching tv. You weren't really watching, just staring blankly at the moving screen. The door opened and you felt Stuart's presence walk in behind you. "Hey, are you watching Jeopardy? You know like, 5 answers every episode," he joked, placing his bag down beside the chair, and kissing your head. You stayed quiet, too scared to speak. What would his reaction be? He noticed this, and before he could ask you what was wrong, he saw the test on the couch cushion beside you. At first, he was confused, but then the reality set in. "Is that?" he paused, searching for the right words. "Are you..?" you nodded, not wanting him to say it. "Y/N, this is amazing. Why are  you crying?" he sat beside you, holding your face gently in his hands.

Your body released a breath you didn't know you were holding in. "You're happy? Really?" you asked, needing to hear it more than once for it to not be a dream. "Y/N, yes. I am so happy," he reassured you. "I mean, it's unplanned and it's soon, but I know you'll be a wonderful mother," he pulled you into a hug, and you smiled. "I love you, Stu," you whispered, and you were relieved to hear him say, "I love you too."

+ i love him, & i would do anything for him. -k.