xxxvii. will halstead. [r.] 🌻

requested

requested.
long.
Y/L/N: your last name.

-

"And this is Gabriela Y/L/N, she's our new pediatric doctor on the ED floor. You'll be paired with Dr. Halstead here, just to get the feel of how we run things here. Just go to him if you have any questions," Dr. Choi, chief of the ED explained with a smile. You shook hands with Will, Dr. Choi walked off to tend to a patient of his own. "Gabriela, nice to meet you. I'm Will. Ethan is great with introductions," he joked, making you laugh softly. "It's nice to meet you. I promise not to get in the way too much," you smiled, which he returned. The morning went on without a hitch: the both of you talked and discussed previous patient charts while you waited to receive a patient. "Will, Gabriela, we got a peds patient in Baghdad: possible spinal cord injury," Maggie interrupted your conversation while you both sat comfortably in the on call room.

You both jumped up, and you held the door for him with a playful: "I'm following your lead, doctor." He entered the hospital room and put on some hand sanitizer and gloves. "Sherry, this is Dr. Halstead and Dr. Y/L/N. They're going to look after Justin for you, okay?" Maggie explained to the patient's parents. The baby was small, probably around 7 to 8 months. He was crying loud and uncontrollably, which broke your heart. "We left him with his nanny, and she wasn't paying attention when he slipped out of his highchair. He only fell a few feet, b-but I knew I shouldn't have left him alone. I-" "ma'am, we are going to look after Justin and do everything we can for him. There's nothing you did that caused this. It was an accident," you told her gently to stop her rambling.

As you talked to the parents about Justin's medical history, Will gave him a head to toe examination. You had to admit, seeing Will with a baby made you swoon, even just for a little bit. "On the outside, he looks okay other than this bruise. I'd like to run some tests on him, just to get a look at the inside. Dr. Y/L/N, could you order a set of labs as well as a chest x-ray and MRI?" you nodded, and stepped out the room to order all the diagnostics for the baby in your care.

-

A few hours passed and you heard the tones go off in a hospital room. You heard a scream for help and you quickly scanned the baby's test results before you jolted out the nurses station. Will was already in the room to help the first time couple as they watched their baby struggle to breathe and move. "Help him! I don't know what happened, but he just stopped crying! What's happening?!" she was crying as she spoke. "He has a history of strokes. We need to push TPA," Will moved quickly, running to grab the medication, but you stopped him as you remembered the lab results. "Will, wait!" you yelled, louder than you should've probably, but it was accidental. "His labs showed a decreased red blood cell count. That and the bruising, he might be bleeding internally. TPA will only make that worse. We need to get him to the OR," you said, prepping your pediatric patient for emergency surgery while Will explained everything to the terrified parents. You just pray you'd made the right call..

"Did you hear? Baby Justin is gonna make a full recovery," Maggie smiled to you and Will while you sat in the no call room after a fairly hectic day. You'd had 3 other patients after the infant, and it nearly brought tears to your eyes to hear the good news. She stepped away while you released a sigh of relief. "You did good today, Gabriela. You made a great call," Will complimented, a blush rising on your cheeks. "Thank you, Mr. Halstead," you replied jokingly. You began to pack your things, ready to go home when he stopped you. "Are you free tonight? There's a bar a few blocks over called Molly's if you want to go?" Will spoke, but it was more of a nervous question.

You walked to him, and stood on your toes to gently press a kiss to his lips. He smiled into it and when he pulled away, he said, "I'll take that as a yes."