xli. jay halstead. [r.]💫

requested

requested.

"Sofia, are you ready yet? Come on or I'm leaving without you!" your annoying big brother, Kelly Severide, called for you while you added the finishing touches to your makeup. You loved him, obviously, but your sibling dynamic was like any other. You rushed down the stairs, following Kelly out to his Mustang. "Next time, you're getting left here," he told you, and you scoffed. You and Kelly were attending a formal event for Chicago's first responders: medical, police, and fire. You were invited by Kelly, as was your mother, and of course you wanted to go. You followed him to the car, and when you arrived, you both walked inside. Your mother met you there, you and Kelly being the sibling duo that everyone thought was so cute. As you talked with your mother and Kelly walked around greeting everyone, your phone vibrated. "Is that the boy you've been talking about nonstop?" your mom asked, and you felt your face brighten. "Yes, and he's a man, not a boy," you playfully defended. You'd started talking to a guy about 2 months ago named Jay, and you really liked him. He was so sweet and kind. He told you he was busy tonight, so you didn't expect to talk to him much, but then he texted you.

He was at the same banquet, wearing his dress blues, his hat tucked under his arm. You felt a pair of eyes on you, but brushed off the feeling. "Hey," you felt a soft hand hold your elbow, and you jumped slightly, but relaxed. "Jay? What are you doing here?" you asked, not sure why he would be here. Chicago was small to you, living here your entire life, you knew mostly everyone. You thought maybe he came with a family member like you did with Kelly, but Jay was wearing a police uniform. "You're a police officer?" you were dumbfounded. He told you he worked long hours, but never mentioned where or what he does. "Well, a detective for Chicago PD," he corrected sheepishly. Your mom stood there with a smile, and you knew that she liked Jay already.

"I should've told you, but we're having such a great time, and my job has ran a few women off in the past.." he was ashamed to say, but that made you like him more, weirdly enough. "Are you police, fire, or medical, too? Who are you here with?" he finally asked, and before you could answer, you heard Kelly's voice. "Jay what are you doing over here?" he asked, moving in like a brother to protect his sister. You rolled your eyes, annoyed that your little brother was going 'big brother.' Jay laughed nervously. "I was just talking to Sofia-" "well, you're not anymore. Why don't you go  talk to someone else?" he retorted angrily, his face turning slightly red. "I'm sorry, are you two dating?" Jay asked, and you face palmed. "No, what?!" Kelly was fuming now, and you stopped him. "No, Kelly is my annoying little brother," you confessed, and Jay's eyes widened slightly. 

"Oh, Kelly I didn't know, man. I-" "Jay, you don't have to explain yourself. Kelly doesn't have a say so in my love life," you glared at your brother who finally began to calm down. "Yeah, my bad," he rubbed the back of his neck. Your mother stood, watching the entire situation, enjoying herself. You know you'd never hear the end of it. "Kelly, I have enjoyed every minute with Sofia and I would never hurt her," Jay told him, taking ahold of your hand gently. "I know. You're a good guy. I've just seen Sof get hurt before, and I don't want it to happen again," he admitted, and you almost teared up. "Kelly, you're a great brother. Irritating, but great," you joked, and he finally cracked a smile.

+ so much jay halstead!! lol -a.